Nov 15, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
The Best: They were unchanged — and looking good — from 1960 through 1971 before moving on to the land of the double knits. Which still didn’t look horrible, although they were a bit generic. The best look was that classic look, which is nicely reproduced in the new home alternates. I like the new roadies better than the actual classics, though, thanks to the “Minnesota” on them as opposed to “Twins.”
The Worst: The World Series years pinstripes with the M on the hats. I know they have their fans — especially any Twins backer under the age of 40 or so — but this is a personal, visceral thing for me. Men wearing those things knocked Alan Trammell and the Tigers out of the 1987 playoffs. Men wearing those things picked up and threw the 1991 Braves out of the World Series. Seeing them causes me pain, and that’s without accounting for the fact that pinstripes on gray uniforms look terrible and that no team has ever in its history eschewed an epic logo like those 80s and 90s Twins teams eschewed the interlocking “TC.” That “M” cap they had for so long would be like the Yankees getting rid of their “NY” for a big block N.
Assessment: The Twins are living proof that the uniform a team wears during its greatest success is not necessarily its best uniform.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires