Nov 16, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
According to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post “there is mutual interest between the Marlins and A.J. Pierzynski, but he might be too expensive for Florida.”
Capozzi cites the $6.75 million Pierzynski made this season, but in reality there’s zero chance of him costing that much as a free agent in 2011. Pierzynski is 34 years old and coming off the worst season of his career, hitting .270 with a .300 on-base percentage and .388 slugging percentage for a .688 OPS after 10 straight years topping .700.
Toss in Ramon Hernandez re-signing with the Reds yesterday for one season and $3 million after having a significantly better year than Pierzynski and the market has pretty much been set for the veteran catcher. Even the penny pinching Marlins will be able to afford him, but the bigger issue is that Pierzynski is a Type A free agent.
Because the Marlins have the 14th pick in next year’s draft and the top 15 picks are protected from being free agent compensation they would instead send the White Sox their second-round pick for signing Pierzynski, but even that is a pretty steep price to pay for a mediocre 34-year-old catcher. Of course, that assumes the White Sox will offer Pierzynski arbitration by the November 23 deadline, which is far from a sure thing because he could simply accept the offer and force Chicago into a one-year deal for at least $6 million.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 81
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 27
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (93)