Nov 16, 2010, 11:30 AM EST
Jon Heyman tweeted the following a few minutes ago:
adrian beltre market is very hot. 12 teams are interested. got a chance to be the first star to go off the board.
I don’t doubt that there is sharp interest in Beltre and that he might sign quickly. He’s easily the top infielder on the market, and his bat and defense are no doubt highly sought after, especially by a couple of clubs — the Red Sox and Angels — who are clearly willing to spend this winter.
Still: “12 teams are interested?” That seems highly doubtful. Merely eyeballing rosters and payrolls, I see perhaps 12 or 13 total teams who aren’t settled at third base next season. Of those 12 or 13 teams, I see maybe four or five — including the Red Sox, White Sox, Angels and Giants — who might give Beltre the long term contract he’s looking for. Among the others are poor sisters like the Marlins and Padres, or teams that have other long term priorities than third base, like the Cardinals. The notion that every single team who has a vacancy at third base is interested in Beltre is either wrong, or else the meaning of the world “interest” has gotten a lot looser than it used to be.
Small point, I guess, but it’s just another reminder that you have to impose some critical thinking on most of the rumors and buzz you hear this time of the year.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 0
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)