Nov 16, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
Jon Heyman tweeted the following a few minutes ago:
adrian beltre market is very hot. 12 teams are interested. got a chance to be the first star to go off the board.
I don’t doubt that there is sharp interest in Beltre and that he might sign quickly. He’s easily the top infielder on the market, and his bat and defense are no doubt highly sought after, especially by a couple of clubs — the Red Sox and Angels — who are clearly willing to spend this winter.
Still: “12 teams are interested?” That seems highly doubtful. Merely eyeballing rosters and payrolls, I see perhaps 12 or 13 total teams who aren’t settled at third base next season. Of those 12 or 13 teams, I see maybe four or five — including the Red Sox, White Sox, Angels and Giants — who might give Beltre the long term contract he’s looking for. Among the others are poor sisters like the Marlins and Padres, or teams that have other long term priorities than third base, like the Cardinals. The notion that every single team who has a vacancy at third base is interested in Beltre is either wrong, or else the meaning of the world “interest” has gotten a lot looser than it used to be.
Small point, I guess, but it’s just another reminder that you have to impose some critical thinking on most of the rumors and buzz you hear this time of the year.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)