Nov 16, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
Jon Heyman tweeted the following a few minutes ago:
adrian beltre market is very hot. 12 teams are interested. got a chance to be the first star to go off the board.
I don’t doubt that there is sharp interest in Beltre and that he might sign quickly. He’s easily the top infielder on the market, and his bat and defense are no doubt highly sought after, especially by a couple of clubs — the Red Sox and Angels — who are clearly willing to spend this winter.
Still: “12 teams are interested?” That seems highly doubtful. Merely eyeballing rosters and payrolls, I see perhaps 12 or 13 total teams who aren’t settled at third base next season. Of those 12 or 13 teams, I see maybe four or five — including the Red Sox, White Sox, Angels and Giants — who might give Beltre the long term contract he’s looking for. Among the others are poor sisters like the Marlins and Padres, or teams that have other long term priorities than third base, like the Cardinals. The notion that every single team who has a vacancy at third base is interested in Beltre is either wrong, or else the meaning of the world “interest” has gotten a lot looser than it used to be.
Small point, I guess, but it’s just another reminder that you have to impose some critical thinking on most of the rumors and buzz you hear this time of the year.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 11
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 70
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)