Adrian Gonzalez on his future: “I’m not in control. God is.”

Nov 16, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT

Adrian Gonzalez 2

I really like Adrian Gonzalez. And yes, I appreciate that he has a closer connection to San Diego than a lot of star players have to the teams they end up leaving in free agency. But I really do wish that he — and any other player in his position would stop saying things like this:

“I’m torn . . . I’ve been a Padre fan all my life. I’d love to be part of it happening here. But I understand. I’m hoping to stay through the end of next season. Beyond that, I’m not in control. God is. I’m a man of faith.”

There isn’t any faith about it. There’s business. And the business is going to compel either the Padres to trade him or Gonzalez to leave via free agency. There’s nothing wrong with that. It’s reality-based.  If fans were to accept that more readily than they do they’d probably have a healthier relationship with sports than many of them do. Instead, we’re left to construe these situations in terms of loyalty and heartlessness and religion, when none of it has any practical place in determining which players play for which teams.

If the Padres wanted to pay more money to Gonzalez, he’d stay. If Gonzalez were willing to take considerably less money from the Padres than he’ll get on the open market, he’d stay.  But that’s not going to happen, and there’s nothing spiritual or even particularly emotional about it.

1. icanspeel - Nov 16, 2010 at 5:24 PM

What he means is maybe God will drop 100 million to the Padres to pay him to stay

2. cnitkowski - Nov 16, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Doesn’t he mean he’s not in control for 2011? He has no control of where he plays next season and therefore as a man of faith trusts that God will put him where He wants him, SD or someplace else. I think the “beyond that” was misunderstood. Beyond him wanting to be in SD he has no control of the other 29 places he may play next season.

3. crankyfrankie - Nov 16, 2010 at 7:45 PM

I think God has enough to worry about now with I don’t know war, world hunger, mans inhumanity to man, to concern himself/herself with an above average first baseman becoming a millionaire 120 times over.

4. bc666 - Nov 16, 2010 at 8:14 PM

God isn’t in control….Gonzale’s agent will be after 2011.

5. mcsnide - Nov 16, 2010 at 8:16 PM

My personal deity of choice is the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but I don’t have a problem with Gonzalez on this. If he had said, “I’m not in control; the guys in the front office are, so I’m just living my life and what comes, comes”, we’re not having this conversation.

• Kevin S. - Nov 16, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Except that would have made sense. If Adrian Gonzalez is into fatalism, that’s his business and his right. But that would imply divine control over much more than his playing future, and that doesn’t seem to be what he’s saying. I guess I just don’t get why people invoke deities when uncertainty is involved. Either you believe a supreme being is pulling the strings or you don’t. Not sure what’s going on with this sometimes stuff.

• umrguy42 - Nov 18, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Actually, Albert Pujols HAS essentially said “the front office is in control, not me”, and many of us Cardinal fans are calling BS on it – get in there, start throwing some numbers and terms around, and see what sticks. Sheesh.

6. bowski72 - Nov 16, 2010 at 8:32 PM

What I’m tired of are stories / comments like these every time someone who has obviously read the bible comments that ultimately God is in control. It’s also obvious if you watch the Padres that God has in fact blessed this man. So why is it so hard to believe that God may have a plan for him? God may not like the Red Sox over the Padres, but I’d be willing to bet based on these comments that God loves Adrian Gonzales (as he does all of us). So why is it so hard to fathom that God may play a role into him landing in the place that is best for him. And if you think God is too busy to care about a single individuals life, then you don’t have a good grasp on how big / magnificient God is.

7. The Baseball Idiot - Nov 17, 2010 at 4:19 PM

God doesn’t roll dice with the universe, but I’ll bet he plays Strat-o-Matic.

8. dan1111 - Nov 18, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Gonzalez believes that God is at work in the events of his life. This is not unusual. Nor does it conflict with the fact that some of these events are “business.” I’m not sure what your objection is here, other than the general objection that nonbelief always has to belief.

I can imagine a hypothetical case in which his statement would be offensive. What if Gonzalez were a free agent right now, holding out for the richest contract, and made the same statement? Then he would be claiming that a crass business decision was really about faith. I would understand why people would object to this–as a Christian, I would object to it. However, this is not the case. Gonzalez was asked to speculate about a future that really is outside his control. He could get traded, he could get injured, or a thousand other things could happen. He chooses to trust that these things are in God’s hands.

There is no good reason to doubt his sincerity, nor did he make an “in your face” religious statement. I don’t understand the issue here.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5369)