Bartolo Colon is in the best shape of his life

Nov 16, 2010, 9:18 AM EDT

bartolo colon released

Nick Collias over at MLBTR reports that Bartlo Colon is thinking comeback. I’ll believe that when I see it.  But I suppose he could be serious. Why?  Because Nick tells me that one of the Spanish language articles covering Colon’s recent performances reported Bartolo hitting on one of my favorite topics.  Seems that Colon has been working out in his village and with a personal trainer in Santo Domingo and . . .

“logré una forma deportiva muy adecuada.”

Nick — who is awesome because he sends me translations of stuff that are in my particular wheelhouse — tells me that this literally means, “I achieved a very adequate athletic shape.”  However, he says that a colloquial translation could easily have that as “I’m in the best shape of my life.”  It’s certainly close enough for me to include it in my cataloging of the meme. Thanks, Nick!

And if there is a God in heaven, he will put Bartolo Colon back in the majors, because life is that much more interesting with him around. And then abruptly leaving.

1. BC - Nov 16, 2010 at 9:27 AM

And would that shape be, say… spherical?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 16, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Can we still refer to him as the swollen colon?

2. Ace - Nov 16, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Somehow, I don’t believe Bartolo Colon ever has been or ever will be in the best shape of his life.

• BC - Nov 16, 2010 at 9:44 AM

“Best” is a relative term.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 16, 2010 at 10:37 AM

I wonder if he has been using “supplements” to get into shape.

3. pbannard - Nov 16, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Can we get a pool going on players who will have the “best shape of their life” tag slapped on them before spring training? Everyone gets to pick 5 players, perhaps?

• JBerardi - Nov 16, 2010 at 12:49 PM

We would have a 7000-way tie for first under that system.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3165)