Nov 16, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT
With one season remaining on Prince Fielder’s contract the assumption has been that the Brewers will look to trade him this offseason, but general manager Doug Melvin told Bob Nightengale of USA Today that “we’re not shopping Prince” and “I’d like to keep him.”
Of course, regarding a new contract Melvin also said that the Brewers “would like to get something done by the end of the offseason” and “don’t want to negotiate during the year.”
In other words, the “we’re not shopping Prince” thing may not change much at all, because the odds of Fielder and the Brewers agreeing to a new long-term deal before Opening Day seem pretty slim to say the least.
Fielder’s agent, Scott Boras, typically pushes his big-name clients to test the open market and it’s unclear if the Brewers are even interested in committing $100 million or more to keep Fielder long term anyway. Much like the Padres with Adrian Gonzalez, the Brewers figure to begin “shopping” Prince Fielder at some point.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?