Nov 16, 2010, 2:01 PM EST
What, you were expecting Oliver Perez?
This was a no-brainer, and there was very little dissent in the ranks: Roy Halladay received all 32 of the first place votes, easily beating out Adam Wainwright, Ubaldo Jimenez, Tim Hudson and Josh Johnson, who finished in second through fifth place.
When the Phillies traded for him last winter the expectation was that Halladay would thrive upon moving to the weaker National League, and those expectations were met: He thew a perfect game on May 29th, and led the league in wins (21), complete games (9), shutouts (4), innings (250.2) while issuing the fewest walks per nine innings (1.1) and leading the NL in strikeout-to-walk ratio (7.30). He was among the leaders in ERA (2.44, third) and strikeouts (219, second) as well. And of course, the threw a no-hitter in Game One of the NLDS, though that wasn’t reflected in the voting here due to the regular season vote-submission deadline. If that had been included there would have been loose talk of renaming the award after him.
In a career filled with fantastic performances, Halladay’s 2010 was his finest season as a professional. And there’s no reason to suspect that he won’t continue his humiliation of National League hitters when 2011 begins. Congratulations, Doc.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 0
- Report: MLB panel split on Josh Hamilton punishment; one-year suspension is in play 14
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (73)