Nov 16, 2010, 12:48 PM EDT
If there’s one thing I’m convinced will happen this offseason it’s that Jorge De La Rosa will be significantly overpaid.
There have already been reports of the Yankees and Nationals viewing him as their “Plan B” for Cliff Lee and now Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review writes that De La Rosa–who pitched for new Pirates manager Clint Hurdle when they were together on the Rockies in 2008 and 2009– is Pittsburgh’s “top free agent target.”
I just don’t get it.
De La Rosa is certainly a solid enough pitcher, but it seems like teams are suddenly viewing him as a viable top-of-the-rotation starter and there’s been speculation that he could end up with a four- or even five-year deal. Which would be crazy for a 30-year-old pitcher with a 5.02 career ERA who has never posted an ERA below 4.20 or thrown 190 innings in a season.
De La Rosa turned his career around after being traded to the Rockies in 2008 and his three-year run in Colorado with a 4.49 ERA was impressive while calling Coors Field home, but then again he had a 4.19 ERA on the road during that time. He has good stuff and racks up lots of strikeouts, but also walked 4.1 batters per nine innings for the Rockies, hasn’t been able to stay healthy, and looks a whole lot more like a mid-rotation starter who’s likely to disappoint.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 6
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 30
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 10
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)