Nov 16, 2010, 12:48 PM EDT
If there’s one thing I’m convinced will happen this offseason it’s that Jorge De La Rosa will be significantly overpaid.
There have already been reports of the Yankees and Nationals viewing him as their “Plan B” for Cliff Lee and now Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review writes that De La Rosa–who pitched for new Pirates manager Clint Hurdle when they were together on the Rockies in 2008 and 2009– is Pittsburgh’s “top free agent target.”
I just don’t get it.
De La Rosa is certainly a solid enough pitcher, but it seems like teams are suddenly viewing him as a viable top-of-the-rotation starter and there’s been speculation that he could end up with a four- or even five-year deal. Which would be crazy for a 30-year-old pitcher with a 5.02 career ERA who has never posted an ERA below 4.20 or thrown 190 innings in a season.
De La Rosa turned his career around after being traded to the Rockies in 2008 and his three-year run in Colorado with a 4.49 ERA was impressive while calling Coors Field home, but then again he had a 4.19 ERA on the road during that time. He has good stuff and racks up lots of strikeouts, but also walked 4.1 batters per nine innings for the Rockies, hasn’t been able to stay healthy, and looks a whole lot more like a mid-rotation starter who’s likely to disappoint.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)