Nov 16, 2010, 7:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Wally Backman campaign is still alive and kicking, for some reason. According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, Backman has made it through to the second round of interviews for the Mets’ manager job.
The rest of the field played out as expected, as Terry Collins, Bob Melvin and Chip Hale are the other finalists, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com. Mets GM Sandy Alderson told reporters today that he hopes to name a manager by Thanksgiving.
Hey, at least Craig can still have some more fun with this whole process.
7:21 PM: It’s done. Mets general manager Sandy Alderson confirmed to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com just a short while ago that he has completed the first round of interviews for the team’s managerial vacancy.
“The first round is officially closed,” Alderson said. “We hope to bring back several candidates over the balance of this week. If everything goes as we hope, we could have the second round completed by the end of the week. There won’t need to be a Round 3. … I would say right now that it’s very possible we’d have a manager announced by Thanksgiving.”
Alderson did not acknowledge that a front-runner for the job existed, but Rubin expects that Terry Collins, Bob Melvin and Chip Hale will all likely receive second interviews. “Organizational sources” tell Rubin that Collins is the favorite, with Melvin as the most likely alternative.
Right on cue, Ken Davidoff of New York Newsday reports that the Mets have informed Hale that he is a finalist for the job. Hale just completed his first season as third base and infield coach with the club. He would likely stay with the organization if the Mets ultimately settle on Collins or Melvin.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)