Nov 16, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
Ramon Hernandez probably isn’t very happy with his agent right now.
Buck parlayed a career-year into $18 million, yet his career-year really wasn’t better than Hernandez’s performance this season. Buck hit .281 with an .802 OPS in 113 games and threw out 28 percent of steal attempts. Hernandez hit .297 with a .792 OPS in 97 games and threw out 34 percent of steal attempts.
And while Buck is four years younger, he’s hardly a good choice for a three-year contract and Hernandez’s pre-2010 track record is vastly superior. Obviously it would have been tough to predict that the Marlins would decide to overpay for a mediocre catcher coming off a career-year, but if the catching market yields an $18 million deal for Buck it sure seems like Hernandez should have done better than $3 million.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)