Nov 16, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
Ramon Hernandez probably isn’t very happy with his agent right now.
Buck parlayed a career-year into $18 million, yet his career-year really wasn’t better than Hernandez’s performance this season. Buck hit .281 with an .802 OPS in 113 games and threw out 28 percent of steal attempts. Hernandez hit .297 with a .792 OPS in 97 games and threw out 34 percent of steal attempts.
And while Buck is four years younger, he’s hardly a good choice for a three-year contract and Hernandez’s pre-2010 track record is vastly superior. Obviously it would have been tough to predict that the Marlins would decide to overpay for a mediocre catcher coming off a career-year, but if the catching market yields an $18 million deal for Buck it sure seems like Hernandez should have done better than $3 million.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)