The Marlins trade Dan Uggla to the Braves

Nov 16, 2010, 5:48 PM EDT

Dan Uggla

UPDATE: The trade is a done deal: Dan Uggla to the Braves for Omar Infante and Mike Dunn.  Really not much of a haul for the Marlins given what Uggla brings to the table. And while, sure, Uggla has some defensive issues and is only under team control for one year, this is not a bad price to pay for the Braves for a player who (a) significantly upgrades the team’s offense; and (b) will give the team much comfort if Chipper Jones is unable to come back from his knee injury.  If he does come back, Uggla will likely stick at second, Jones at third, and Martin Prado will play left field and spend some time at first base spelling (or carrying) rookie first baseman Freddie Freeman.

5:21 P.M.: Ken Rosenthal reports that the Braves and Marlins are in conversations about a trade in which Dan Uggla would go to Atlanta in exchange for Omar “All-Star” Infante and reliever Mike Dunn.

My gut reaction from the Braves’ point of view: I like it. Yes, Infante was really nice last year — he hit .321/.359./416 — and yes, he provides a great deal of flexibility given the fragility of Chipper Jones. But really: he’s not envisioned as an everyday player for the Braves in 2011, last year was his top end, and Dan Uggla puts baseballs in the bleachers, and the Braves could sorely use that.

The one question is where Uggla plays, because, at present, Martin Prado is the second baseman and Chipper Jones is trying to come back at third. Jones’ comeback is by no means assured, of course, and if he falters Uggla can play second and Prado third.  If Jones does come back, it’s possible that either Uggla or Prado could take a crack at left field.  The point, again, is that Uggla hurts baseballs, and the Braves need more guys who do that, no matter where they play.

From the Marlins point of view, Infante could replace Uggla as the everyday second baseman and perform just fine. They’re obviously viewing this as a salary dump, however. Mike Dunn appeared in 25 games last year and had a shiny ERA, but he walked 17 batters in 19 innings and shouldn’t be let near a high-leverage situation. He’s a total depth guy/throw-in.

It’ll be interesting to see if this thing goes down.

1. proudlycanadian - Nov 16, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Are you sure that Atlanta would not turn around and trade Uggla to another team such as Toronto?

2. Reflex - Nov 16, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Why would Toronto want him? Their 2B/3B situation is pretty good, and at 1B Uggla is merely average. Why give up one of the many, many good hitting prospects or a pitcher for a guy who isn’t going to be significantly better than Aaron Hill at 2B, and will be significantly worse on defense?

• proudlycanadian - Nov 16, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Toronto needs someone to play both third base and first.base. I assume that Uggla could play either position.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 16, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Dreams of the hot stove season….. Yeah sure….. And the Braves might just trade Uggla to the Phillies for Ross Gload and a Phillie Phanatic stuffed toy too…

3. Panda Claus - Nov 16, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Uggla seems like a very good value at that price. Maybe too good to be true. As long as he doesn’t revert to the yips he’d be fine at 2nd, moving Prado to 3rd.

4. scatterbrian - Nov 16, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Better glove than Conrad?

5. oceanman1 - Nov 16, 2010 at 6:24 PM

As usual the Marlins brass screwed the fans and team ! Dan Uggla was one of the favorites , always plays hard and very humble . For the Marlins owner it’s always about the MONEY ! Still the cheapest team in baseball !! And that ain’t a compliment !

6. Jason @ IIATMS - Nov 16, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Shame to see the Marlins dump yet another. Hooray for revenue sharing!

7. crankyfrankie - Nov 16, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Hope the Phillies can get in on this since it appears the Marlins want to be a farm club for division opponents. Maybe Josh Johnson and Mike Stanton for Raul Ibanez and Joe Stanton.

8. Old Gator - Nov 16, 2010 at 10:57 PM

What an utterly cheapskate, horseshit trade. Even I, as enamored of the Feesh ownership as I am, find this one hard to stomach, much less figure out. No EYPs even? And within the division? Even mere pathological impecuniousness doesn’t help this one make any sense. Larry Beinfest’s formerly formidable frontal lobes seem to be fermenting into his fulminating fontanelles. He’s been lunching out on 2003, but is it becoming clearer now how much of 2003 was really Dave Dombrowski’s legacy to a subsequently emasculated franchise?

Yes, this is the salary dump that I have been predicting all along. The Feesh are going to be taking up the cellar with the blacksnakes and vinegaroons this coming season, reconstituted boolpen or not. Last season they couldn’t hold a lead. This coming season, they’re going to be lucky to have any leads to hold.

I want to see if the Player’s Association tolerates this. I hold out no hope, of course, that our drooling decerebrated dithering dolt of a commissioner will burp about it.

9. Jonny 5 - Nov 16, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Ha Ha! well the Braves just got better. Looks like some healthy competition from the braves next season. I love baseball. Gator. Ummm, once again I feel for you. Cantu, Ross, now Uggla? It’s almost criminal. Would you like a big fat cheese steak with mushrooms? That always makes me feel better. Some garlic hot peppers… mmm…

• Kevin S. - Nov 17, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Mushrooms, blegh. Why anybody would willingly eat fungus is beyond me.

As for this trade, well done on Wren’s part to recognize an available salary dump and capitalize on it. Seems to me that the logical move now is to use their horde of young pitching to find out just how available Colby Rasmus really is. CF is their only major hole remaining, and Rasmus being pre-arb makes him even more attractive. The Braves aren’t big spenders, but they have enough of a budget that they can afford to use prospects as trade chits and not be ruined. It’s time to cash in.

• Old Gator - Nov 17, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Johnny, much as I love ya, you need to start getting yourself healthy. I suggest foregoing those horrible horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches for a few months and taking up yoga. Study it assiduously. By pitchers and catchers, you’ll be able to execute the unnatural act I am about to tell you to go perform upon yourself.

But yes, the Braves just got better. As I noted above, I cannot fathom this trade. Are the Feesh trying to tell us that even given their tightwad, piss-on-the-fans mentality they could not have found a taker for a 30-homer, 105-ribby guy pretty much in his prime outside the division at the very least? Or that these two mediocrities are the best they could have gotten for him? If I didn’t value what little hair I have left I’d be scratching my head over it in my sleep. I always knew Scrooge McLoria and the Chihuahua were a couple of Fagins, but I now have to consider seriously the proposition that Larry Beinfest is an idiot, too. My metaphysical foundations are being shaken. I might just blow this team off altogether next season and instead watch soc…soc…soc…no, I can’t say it. Not yet. But I fear that I’ll be desperate enough to blurt it out by the end of the GM’s meeting.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 17, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Just as I was finishing my breakfast bagel with Philadelphia cream cheese too… You almost had me decorate my desk with it this morning, thank you very much… Gator, at this point I wouldn’t blame you if you became a Braves fan. If any team deserves turncoats It’s the Marlins. Even the Pirates fans feel for Marlins fans at this point. I mean they get the talent that many teams dream for, they grow that talent. Then as soon as the fans get comfortable with these guys, and they prove they deserve more money, they cut them loose willy nilly. The marlins could be a power house year in, year out, if they only did what a baseball team is supposed to do. Grow Talent, sign talent, and win. Why would you grow talent, then trade talent to lose? Loria is the closest to this guy….

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 17, 2010 at 10:48 AM

wtf we can imbed videos now? awesome

10. mvd513 - Nov 17, 2010 at 3:02 AM

All that really matters is that when baseballs go over the fence, will the Braves TV guys still exclaim, “His name is Dan Uggla!” Or will the Marlins TV guys adopt for someone new? “His name is Mike Stanton!”

• hnirobert3 - Nov 17, 2010 at 7:56 AM

How about, when Infante gets a hit (not a home run since that’s not his thing), they say: “He was traded for… Dan Uggla!”

• mvd513 - Nov 18, 2010 at 6:00 AM

ha ha. High five!

11. bravefan4life - Nov 17, 2010 at 8:28 AM

While I feel this will improve the Braves, I can’t help but feel regret that we’re losing Omar. The guy played his role perfectly and showed not just how versatile he is, but also how good a daily player he can be. He also appears to be a very humble and well liked player by his teammates. He’ll add a lot of depth and integrity to any team he plays with and at $2.5 mil this year…..He’s the biggest value out there. Best of luck in Florida Omar!

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug