The Best and Worst Uniforms of All Time: The Seattle Mariners

Nov 16, 2010, 3:00 PM EST

Flying Ken Griffey

Our last entry of the series. Ah, memories. It seems like it was only last Tuesday when we began this thing . . .

The Best: Call me crazy, but I loved the old trident M on the caps. It looked better with the star behind it than the original look , but like so many other expansion teams, be it the Angels, the Brewers or the Expos, a unique logo — as opposed to a near-generic letter — is the absolute best way to make up for not having a century of history behind you. Or rather, it is your history, Seattle, and it’s not something that you should hide from simply because it wasn’t around before World War II.

Ultimately, though, that’s just a cap. The jerseys of that era were kind of blah. And really, since then, the jerseys have been kind of blah.  I guess if they could somehow incorporate the star-trident-M with something like this they’d be optimizing things, but I still believe that the Mariners’ best uniforms are in their future, not their past.

The Worst: The era of the big yellow S on the caps may have been one of the laziest designs in baseball history. “Well, we’re in Seattle. Let’s put an ‘S’ on there, OK boys?  No, no need to make it look good or fancy or anything. Just a yellow S. We have more important things to do today.”

Assessment: The Mariners have at times been the worst team in baseball, and for one year at least, they were the best team in baseball.  Never, however, have their uniforms reached heights or depths of any significance whatsoever. Kind of sad really.

1. tomemos - Nov 16, 2010 at 3:25 PM

The jerseys were so blah that the link you put up is totally blank.

2. topher2411 - Nov 16, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Really? No mention of the teal tops? I think you’re running out of energy on this project.

• easports82 - Nov 16, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Totally mailed this one in. Way to finish.

• okobojicat - Nov 16, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I’m with Topher here. Not much effort on this one Craig. Kind of mailing it in are we?

The Star-Trident M cap is actually atrocious. The original is better. The Skinny Dark S is better. The jersey they have now is clean, well cut and simple. Its fine. The teal, was (is?) atrocious.

3. mattraw - Nov 16, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Please, let us not forget the 1999 Uniforms of the Future games:

Ye gods.

4. Craig Calcaterra - Nov 16, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Fixed the broken link.

Sorry if this seems mailed in. But really, what else is there to say about the Mariners? They’ve had roughly three designs, and I hit on all three. While I didn’t mention the solid alternates and powder blues, I think after 29 other of these things I’ve said everything you can say about them. They suck, sure, but they’re of their time. That goes for Seattle just as it went for everyone else.

• topher2411 - Nov 16, 2010 at 5:23 PM

I actually agree that it would be great to mix the current uniforms with the trident/star logo. Not surprisingly, you can buy hats with this combo and I think they look great.

Unfortunately, the teal jerseys are making a comeback: http://twitter.com/TNTmariners/status/27947274144#

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5603)
  2. M. Kemp (3195)
  3. C. McGehee (2987)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2976)
  5. J. Upton (2923)