Nov 16, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Leo Mazzone said last month that he’d like to be the Yankees’ or Mets’ pitching coach, calling both openings “a great job.”
However, according to Chad Jennings of the New York Journal News general manager Brian Cashman “has no plans of meeting with Mazzone, who turned down the Yankees job before Ron Guidry was hired.”
Guidry was hired in 2006, which is when Mazzone left the Braves to become the Orioles’ pitching coach under friend and manager Sam Perlozzo.
At the time Mazzone was coming off an incredible run of success in Atlanta and some people were talking about him as a possible Hall of Famer, so it makes sense that the Yankees pursued him and also makes sense that Cashman still holds a grudge that they were turned down for another AL East team.
Mazzone’s legacy has taken a big hit since then, as he failed to turn the Orioles’ pitching staff around before being fired in 2007 with a year remaining on his contract and has received little interest from teams since then. Given the way pitching coaches are hired, fired, and recycled every season, the fact that Mazzone wants another gig and can’t find one seems odd and seemingly speaks to teams viewing what he did in Atlanta as overrated or his being extremely difficult to deal with.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)