Nov 16, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Leo Mazzone said last month that he’d like to be the Yankees’ or Mets’ pitching coach, calling both openings “a great job.”
However, according to Chad Jennings of the New York Journal News general manager Brian Cashman “has no plans of meeting with Mazzone, who turned down the Yankees job before Ron Guidry was hired.”
Guidry was hired in 2006, which is when Mazzone left the Braves to become the Orioles’ pitching coach under friend and manager Sam Perlozzo.
At the time Mazzone was coming off an incredible run of success in Atlanta and some people were talking about him as a possible Hall of Famer, so it makes sense that the Yankees pursued him and also makes sense that Cashman still holds a grudge that they were turned down for another AL East team.
Mazzone’s legacy has taken a big hit since then, as he failed to turn the Orioles’ pitching staff around before being fired in 2007 with a year remaining on his contract and has received little interest from teams since then. Given the way pitching coaches are hired, fired, and recycled every season, the fact that Mazzone wants another gig and can’t find one seems odd and seemingly speaks to teams viewing what he did in Atlanta as overrated or his being extremely difficult to deal with.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 44
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)