Nov 16, 2010, 10:15 AM EST
Leo Mazzone said last month that he’d like to be the Yankees’ or Mets’ pitching coach, calling both openings “a great job.”
However, according to Chad Jennings of the New York Journal News general manager Brian Cashman “has no plans of meeting with Mazzone, who turned down the Yankees job before Ron Guidry was hired.”
Guidry was hired in 2006, which is when Mazzone left the Braves to become the Orioles’ pitching coach under friend and manager Sam Perlozzo.
At the time Mazzone was coming off an incredible run of success in Atlanta and some people were talking about him as a possible Hall of Famer, so it makes sense that the Yankees pursued him and also makes sense that Cashman still holds a grudge that they were turned down for another AL East team.
Mazzone’s legacy has taken a big hit since then, as he failed to turn the Orioles’ pitching staff around before being fired in 2007 with a year remaining on his contract and has received little interest from teams since then. Given the way pitching coaches are hired, fired, and recycled every season, the fact that Mazzone wants another gig and can’t find one seems odd and seemingly speaks to teams viewing what he did in Atlanta as overrated or his being extremely difficult to deal with.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (82)