Nov 17, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
General manager Neal Huntington told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com that the Pirates and Chan Ho Park have mutual interest in the veteran reliever returning to Pittsburgh in 2011, but it sounds like Park would have to settle for a minor-league contract with an opportunity to compete for a bullpen spot in spring training.
He was a bust in New York after signing a one-year, $1.2 million contract last winter, but Park’s struggles can be traced to serving up seven homers in 35 innings for the Yankees. Obviously that’s not a positive thing, but his ground-ball rate suggested it wouldn’t continue and sure enough he allowed just two homers in 28 innings after the Pirates claimed him off waivers in early August.
His overall numbers include a 4.66 ERA and 52/19 K/BB ratio in 64 innings and Park was a big part of the Phillies’ bullpen in 2009 with a 2.52 ERA and 52/16 K/BB ratio in 50 innings. At age 38 and with the poor first-half showing in New York he’s unlikely to be in high demand, but he still looks very capable of being a solid middle reliever and probably still warrants more than a minor-league deal.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)