Nov 17, 2010, 9:23 PM EDT
Yankees veteran Derek Jeter posted a poor .270/.340/.370 batting line in 2010 and again showed diminishing range at the shortstop position. A normal free agent with that profile would be lucky to find a two-year deal worth double-digit millions, but Derek Jeter is Derek Jeter. And he’s using that legacy to squeak one final long-term deal out of the Bronx Bombers.
A source told Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York on Wednesday that Jeter is seeking a contract of at least four years and preferably five or six. The Yankees, meanwhile, are only willing to offer him three.
A deal is going to get done eventually — there’s pretty much no doubt about that — but there is a serious disagreement between the two sides about Jeter’s value and Thanksgiving is just one week away. If the negotiations run into early December, or even late December, it might no longer be possible to avoid a public relations nightmare.
“Derek Jeter is a great Yankee and he’s a great player,” Yankees president Randy Levine told ESPN New York on Wednesday. “With that said and done, now is a different negotiation than 10 years ago. … It’s a business.”
Strap in, Yankees fans. This one has all the potential for ugliness.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 121
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (122)