Nov 17, 2010, 9:23 PM EDT
Yankees veteran Derek Jeter posted a poor .270/.340/.370 batting line in 2010 and again showed diminishing range at the shortstop position. A normal free agent with that profile would be lucky to find a two-year deal worth double-digit millions, but Derek Jeter is Derek Jeter. And he’s using that legacy to squeak one final long-term deal out of the Bronx Bombers.
A source told Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York on Wednesday that Jeter is seeking a contract of at least four years and preferably five or six. The Yankees, meanwhile, are only willing to offer him three.
A deal is going to get done eventually — there’s pretty much no doubt about that — but there is a serious disagreement between the two sides about Jeter’s value and Thanksgiving is just one week away. If the negotiations run into early December, or even late December, it might no longer be possible to avoid a public relations nightmare.
“Derek Jeter is a great Yankee and he’s a great player,” Yankees president Randy Levine told ESPN New York on Wednesday. “With that said and done, now is a different negotiation than 10 years ago. … It’s a business.”
Strap in, Yankees fans. This one has all the potential for ugliness.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 45
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)