Nov 17, 2010, 8:02 PM EDT
Well, it’s official.
The Marlins have made a couple of questionable moves so far in this young offseason and continued that trend Wednesday with the finalization of an odd three-year, $18 million contract for free agent catcher John Buck.
Buck slugged 20 home runs for the Blue Jays in 2010 and represents a legitimate offensive upgrade over the carousel of catchers that the Marlins employed this past year, but the 30-year-old backstop is a .243/.301/.421 career hitter and is likely to regress back to that poor career line.
His .335 BABIP (Batting Average on Balls In Play) suggests that luck had a whole lot to do with the numbers that he posted this past season and Miami’s Sun Life Stadium is not nearly as hitting friendly as Toronto’s Rogers Centre. On top of that, Buck hasn’t played more than 120 games in a season in his entire career.
There’s a chance that everything will work out just fine, but at the moment it appears that Marlins’ new starting catcher was overpaid both in salary and years.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 0
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 49
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)