Nov 17, 2010, 10:50 PM EDT
The Mets interviewed Bob Melvin and Chip Hale on Wednesday for their managerial opening. On Thursday, they’ll interview the other two finalists — Wally Backman and Terry Collins. Assuming all goes according to plan and there’s no need for an abrupt schedule change, the Mets will then announce their new new skipper at a press conference Tuesday.
Mets GM Sandy Alderson relayed this all to ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin late Wednesday evening.
Alderson and Co. went on an extensive search for Jerry Manuel’s replacement this fall, interviewing over 10 candidates in all. They settled on four finalists this week at the GM Meetings in Orlando, Florida and by Thursday evening all four of those men will have met and spoken with Mets officials.
As of now, there isn’t a clear front-runner, but SI.com’s Jon Heyman and a few other New York-based writers suspect that Melvin will win the job. He certainly seemed confident after his interview Wednesday, telling reporters that “we have the pieces to compete.”
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 2
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 11
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 71
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 24
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)