Nov 17, 2010, 10:50 PM EDT
The Mets interviewed Bob Melvin and Chip Hale on Wednesday for their managerial opening. On Thursday, they’ll interview the other two finalists — Wally Backman and Terry Collins. Assuming all goes according to plan and there’s no need for an abrupt schedule change, the Mets will then announce their new new skipper at a press conference Tuesday.
Mets GM Sandy Alderson relayed this all to ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin late Wednesday evening.
Alderson and Co. went on an extensive search for Jerry Manuel’s replacement this fall, interviewing over 10 candidates in all. They settled on four finalists this week at the GM Meetings in Orlando, Florida and by Thursday evening all four of those men will have met and spoken with Mets officials.
As of now, there isn’t a clear front-runner, but SI.com’s Jon Heyman and a few other New York-based writers suspect that Melvin will win the job. He certainly seemed confident after his interview Wednesday, telling reporters that “we have the pieces to compete.”
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 23
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 25
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 33
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (120)