Nov 17, 2010, 6:54 PM EST
The market for left-hander Jorge De La Rosa is heating up.
According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, the Nationals, Pirates and Orioles have been the most aggressive suitors thus far and other teams are expected to join the fray.
The Nats have been on the hunt for a reliable long-term starter since their move to the nation’s capital and have shown a willingness to offer large free agent contracts in the past.
ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick says that Washington GM Mike Rizzo met with De La Rosa’s agent down in Orlando, Florida this week and it seems like the two sides have mutual interest. Rizzo has also been in touch with the representatives for Cliff Lee, but that still looks like a two-team race between the Rangers and Yankees.
Thought of as this offseason’s second-most valuable free agent starter, De La Rosa is likely to cash in despite the pedestrian 4.22 ERA and 1.33 WHIP that he registered over 122 2/3 frames for the Rockies this past season.
The Pirates have reportedly made him their primary offseason target and the O’s boast enough financial resources to strike a deal.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 178
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (172)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)