Nov 17, 2010, 3:46 PM EDT
Oakland has wasted little time making moves this offseason, bidding $17 million for the negotiating rights to Japanese pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma, trading Vin Mazzaro and Justin Marks to the Royals for David DeJesus, claiming Edwin Encarnacion off waivers from the Blue Jays, and spending $800,000 to sign 16-year-old prospect Vicmal De La Cruz out of the Dominican Republic.
And now Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com reports that the A’s have offered free agent third baseman Adrian Beltre a five-year, $64 million contract.
That may not actually get Beltre signed, as he’s coming off an MVP-caliber season and is reportedly being pursued by a ton of teams, but five years and $64 million is the exact same contract he accepted from the Mariners in his first crack at free agency and the normally budget-conscious A’s coming out of the gates with that type of proposal is certainly surprising.
Oakland was in the mix for Beltre last offseason, but he ended up choosing a one-year, $10 million deal from Boston in the hopes of reestablishing his value as an elite player and hitting the open market again. He did just that and now the price tag for Beltre is in a whole different stratosphere.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 0
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)