Nov 17, 2010, 3:46 PM EST
Oakland has wasted little time making moves this offseason, bidding $17 million for the negotiating rights to Japanese pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma, trading Vin Mazzaro and Justin Marks to the Royals for David DeJesus, claiming Edwin Encarnacion off waivers from the Blue Jays, and spending $800,000 to sign 16-year-old prospect Vicmal De La Cruz out of the Dominican Republic.
And now Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com reports that the A’s have offered free agent third baseman Adrian Beltre a five-year, $64 million contract.
That may not actually get Beltre signed, as he’s coming off an MVP-caliber season and is reportedly being pursued by a ton of teams, but five years and $64 million is the exact same contract he accepted from the Mariners in his first crack at free agency and the normally budget-conscious A’s coming out of the gates with that type of proposal is certainly surprising.
Oakland was in the mix for Beltre last offseason, but he ended up choosing a one-year, $10 million deal from Boston in the hopes of reestablishing his value as an elite player and hitting the open market again. He did just that and now the price tag for Beltre is in a whole different stratosphere.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)