Nov 17, 2010, 12:47 PM EDT
UPDATE: This morning the Boston Globe reported that the Red Sox would not offer Adrian Beltre in excess of four years, $52 million. Theo Epstein has now denied that report to the Globe.
This is one of those “who knows?” things. I mean, sure, you have to take Epstein at face value because that’s the best information we have right now. But, it’s worth noting, if the Red Sox had made a determination of an offer ceiling, it’s not like they’d confirm it publicly. Ahh, rumor season.
8:59 A.M.: That’s what Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe is saying anyway.
Am I nuts in thinking that there is no way someone doesn’t beat that? The Angles and Giants spring to mind. Several other teams would likely want to get in on that action too. I mean, sure, he’ll be 32 next season, and maybe he’s “worth” that in some abstract sense. But the market isn’t an abstract sense, and he’s a pretty unique property this winter. He’s also a Boras client.
I think that offer gets topped. With all respect to Cafardo’s source, maybe even by the Red Sox.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 21
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 17
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 26
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (100)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)