Nov 17, 2010, 12:47 PM EDT
UPDATE: This morning the Boston Globe reported that the Red Sox would not offer Adrian Beltre in excess of four years, $52 million. Theo Epstein has now denied that report to the Globe.
This is one of those “who knows?” things. I mean, sure, you have to take Epstein at face value because that’s the best information we have right now. But, it’s worth noting, if the Red Sox had made a determination of an offer ceiling, it’s not like they’d confirm it publicly. Ahh, rumor season.
8:59 A.M.: That’s what Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe is saying anyway.
Am I nuts in thinking that there is no way someone doesn’t beat that? The Angles and Giants spring to mind. Several other teams would likely want to get in on that action too. I mean, sure, he’ll be 32 next season, and maybe he’s “worth” that in some abstract sense. But the market isn’t an abstract sense, and he’s a pretty unique property this winter. He’s also a Boras client.
I think that offer gets topped. With all respect to Cafardo’s source, maybe even by the Red Sox.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)