Nov 17, 2010, 12:47 PM EDT
UPDATE: This morning the Boston Globe reported that the Red Sox would not offer Adrian Beltre in excess of four years, $52 million. Theo Epstein has now denied that report to the Globe.
This is one of those “who knows?” things. I mean, sure, you have to take Epstein at face value because that’s the best information we have right now. But, it’s worth noting, if the Red Sox had made a determination of an offer ceiling, it’s not like they’d confirm it publicly. Ahh, rumor season.
8:59 A.M.: That’s what Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe is saying anyway.
Am I nuts in thinking that there is no way someone doesn’t beat that? The Angles and Giants spring to mind. Several other teams would likely want to get in on that action too. I mean, sure, he’ll be 32 next season, and maybe he’s “worth” that in some abstract sense. But the market isn’t an abstract sense, and he’s a pretty unique property this winter. He’s also a Boras client.
I think that offer gets topped. With all respect to Cafardo’s source, maybe even by the Red Sox.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)