Nov 17, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
Before they were fired Jerry Manuel and Omar Minaya both indicated that 24-year-old Josh Thole would likely be the Mets’ starting catcher in 2011 after playing regularly down the stretch as a rookie, but new general manager Sandy Alderson isn’t quite as sold on the idea.
Alderson said yesterday that the Mets are “thin” at the position are “looking for more catching” while explaining that “it would be a little bit premature if I were to make a judgment on Thole without ever actually having seen him play.”
I’ve heard nothing but good things about Josh. So I expect that he’s going to be a very important piece for us. I’m not making a judgment about Thole as the No. 1 or No. 2. Whether he plays the majority of games or not, we’re going to need additional catching help. So I think in part it’s going to depend on what I hear and what others think of Thole. And the second is going to depend on what’s available out there otherwise. But we’re very happy that we have him. Exactly what his role will be is a little undetermined.
Thole is a left-handed hitter, so it would make sense for the Mets to pair him with a right-handed-hitting veteran backup and re-signing Henry Blanco would seemingly be a good fit. I do think he deserves a shot at the clear-cut starting job, though.
Thole doesn’t have much power, but he hit .277 with a .357 on-base percentage and 25/24 K/BB ratio in 227 plate appearances as a rookie after posting a .376 on-base percentage in six seasons as a minor leaguer. He’s never going to be a star, but for a team with plenty of other holes to fill a 24-year-old catcher with good on-base skills making the league minimum is worth leaving alone.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 0
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 70
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 54
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 98
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (98)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)