The Mets’ managerial interview process is “as close to a rigged event as possible”

Nov 17, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT

Wally Backman

As D.J. said last night, the Mets announced their second round of interviews, and they include Terry Collins, Bob Melvin, Chip Hale and Wally Backman. But Joel Sherman is throwing cold water on the notion that this is truly a four-man race:

I guess Hale, in particular, has a chance to throw a Hail Mary and get the job. But this is as close to a rigged event as possible with Collins as the favorite and Melvin as a very in-the-competition second choice.

Sherman also notes that, while Backman and Hale are coming back for second interviews, in some ways it’s just an extension of his first because “his two main new assistants, Paul DePodesta and J.P. Ricciardi, were not yet on board” when those two were first interviewed.  In contrast, DePodesta and Ricciardi were both involved in earlier discussions with Melvin and Collins.

1. arrabin56 - Nov 17, 2010 at 10:07 AM

If this is as close to rigged as possible, what was the GM process?

• chrisny3 - Nov 17, 2010 at 10:17 AM

It’s not rigged. It’s just Joel Sherman.

2. chrisny3 - Nov 17, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Oooh boy, if you are using Joel Sherman as your source, then you better be prepared to admit you are wrong. Sherman’s sources are all too often far removed from the action, and of course always super anonymous — to the point where you wonder if they sometimes exist.

In this case, his sources appear to be acquaintances of DePodesta. While I don’t doubt DePodesta is stuck on Collins — maybe in an attempt to avenge his firing from the Dodgers — it’s not at all clear who others in the process favor.

I think Sherman and the anti-Backman crowd have already been proven to be wrong here in the sense they predicted Backman wouldn’t even get a second interview.

I predict they will be wrong again — and that Collins will not be the next Mets manager. I can’t see him being able to handle the NY media on a daily basis. He’d quit when things got tough, just like he did in his last two managerial jobs. I think Alderson and others will see that he is not fit for managing in NY too.

3. BC - Nov 17, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Of the bunch, I’d hire Hale. Melvin as a second choice. I want no part of Collins or Backman.
    PS. Sherman is a chipwich.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 17, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Sherman is a chipwich.

Love that phrase, please don’t stop using it.

• spindervish - Nov 17, 2010 at 6:41 PM

The exact opposite of this.

4. Jonny 5 - Nov 17, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Shall I go get some popcorn popping? Or throw some things around my office in honor of Backman? ;P

5. BC - Nov 17, 2010 at 10:41 AM

If they hire Backman, I’m going to switch to another team. You heard it here first!

• chrisny3 - Nov 17, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Well you are in the minority. Better to lose one-third of the fans over Backman than to lose two-thirds of them over Collins.

• tomemos - Nov 17, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I think comments like these are why I find myself fascinated by the Backman debacle (deBackle?), even though I have no interest in the Mets: I’ve never seen so many fans willing to say that who the manager is will determine whether they root for the team or not. I mean, switching to another team? Losing two-thirds of the fans? Are you guys insane?

• Jonny 5 - Nov 17, 2010 at 11:03 AM

There are always “other” sports too BC. Here, let me show you another sport that’ll rarely let you down like baseball. It always makes me feel better and will probably work for you too. I think Gator would like to switch to watching this sport instead too, it sure beats waching your team be auctioned off like cattle.. here ya go man… The most excellent sport for making us all feel better.

6. Mauer's Sideburns - Nov 17, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I bet they won’t hire a black guy.

7. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 17, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Anyone else think they should zombify Billy Martin and let him manage?

8. Adam - Nov 17, 2010 at 1:44 PM

How is it a rigged event if they have a favorite and a “very-in-the-competition second choice”? Seems to me that if you have two guys who have a great chance of getting the job then it probably isn’t rigged.

9. Reflex - Nov 17, 2010 at 8:42 PM

My vote still goes to Bob Melvin. Very solid, stable personality. Liked him here in Seattle, and the lack of winning had to do with the utter incompetence of Bill Bavasi. There won’t be any drama with Melvin, and decisions will generally make sense.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win