Nov 17, 2010, 1:31 PM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that the White Sox are talking to free agent Hideki Matsui. He makes sense if they can’t get anyone else to play DH. He can still hit the long ball, and there aren’t many places more conducive to the long ball than U.S. Cellular Field.
I hope this holds off for a couple more weeks, though, because if it does, my two favorite things from last year’s Winter Meetings — (a) Japanese reporters asking everyone about whether they want Matsui on their team; and (b) Ozzie Guillen’s strident quotes about not wanting a dedicated DH — will both be relevant again.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)