Nov 17, 2010, 1:31 PM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that the White Sox are talking to free agent Hideki Matsui. He makes sense if they can’t get anyone else to play DH. He can still hit the long ball, and there aren’t many places more conducive to the long ball than U.S. Cellular Field.
I hope this holds off for a couple more weeks, though, because if it does, my two favorite things from last year’s Winter Meetings — (a) Japanese reporters asking everyone about whether they want Matsui on their team; and (b) Ozzie Guillen’s strident quotes about not wanting a dedicated DH — will both be relevant again.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)