The White Sox would have done an Ozzie Guillen-to-the-Marlins deal

Nov 17, 2010, 4:31 PM EDT

Chicago White Sox manager Guillen sits in the dugout against the LA Angels during MLB American League baseball game in Anaheim

Last month the Chicago Sun-Times reported that the Marlins and the White Sox discussed allowing Ozzie Guillen to skip down to Florida to become the Marlins’ manager in exchange for a player.  The report was shot down by Kenny Williams.  Seems, however, that there was more to it than Kenny let on:

Chicago White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said he would have allowed manager Ozzie Guillen to go to the Marlins if Florida would have sent back a particular player, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

”The Marlins asked for permission to talk to Ozzie, and we told them we’d let Ozzie go if they gave us a particular player,” Reinsdorf told the Sun-Times. ”But we knew they couldn’t give us the player.”

At the time “the player” was said to be Mike Stanton.  It’s being reported by at least one scribe, however, that the player was Logan Morrison.

Either one of those guys is a lot to give up for merely a manager, so maybe the Sox didn’t really think they’d trade Guillen to the Marlins. Maybe they assumed that their bluff would be called, so Williams felt just fine saying that it was never a possibility.

But man, after seeing how little the Feesh got for the franchise’s all time home run leader yesterday, maybe it was a close call.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Nov 17, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Ozzie, your thoughts? This should be good…

2. Old Gator - Nov 17, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Ozzie, I have nothing against Mr. Jason “El Bravo” Heyward Child, but why not communicate with him directly via email and spare us your incoherent bloviations for a change?

But Craig is right. Anyone who would make a trade a stupid as the Uggla trade might well have made one as stupid as Logan Morrison for Ozzie the Oral Onanist. Back during my early adulthood I got missed by a sizable chunk of a building cornice that hit a few feet away from me and I thought I was lucky then, but after realizing how close Macondo came to being infested with Ozzie’s special blend of loudmouthed Espanglish imbecility, I now know what luck is really about.

3. ThatGuy - Nov 17, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Old Gator only likes his own incoherent ramblings.

• Old Gator - Nov 17, 2010 at 10:16 PM

No, not really. Those I save for my ex-wife and her lawyer. You benefit by my rich, subtle and allusive mythopoesis.

4. stackers1 - Nov 18, 2010 at 8:20 AM

I like reading Old Gator’s posts, but admit that half the time, I don’t know what the hell he’s talking about.

• Old Gator - Nov 18, 2010 at 9:00 AM

You’ve never had an ex-wife?

• BC - Nov 18, 2010 at 9:31 AM

I have an ex-wfie. Everyone else has had her too.

Three legends off to Cooperstown