Nov 17, 2010, 4:31 PM EDT
Last month the Chicago Sun-Times reported that the Marlins and the White Sox discussed allowing Ozzie Guillen to skip down to Florida to become the Marlins’ manager in exchange for a player. The report was shot down by Kenny Williams. Seems, however, that there was more to it than Kenny let on:
Chicago White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said he would have allowed manager Ozzie Guillen to go to the Marlins if Florida would have sent back a particular player, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.
”The Marlins asked for permission to talk to Ozzie, and we told them we’d let Ozzie go if they gave us a particular player,” Reinsdorf told the Sun-Times. ”But we knew they couldn’t give us the player.”
At the time “the player” was said to be Mike Stanton. It’s being reported by at least one scribe, however, that the player was Logan Morrison.
Either one of those guys is a lot to give up for merely a manager, so maybe the Sox didn’t really think they’d trade Guillen to the Marlins. Maybe they assumed that their bluff would be called, so Williams felt just fine saying that it was never a possibility.
But man, after seeing how little the Feesh got for the franchise’s all time home run leader yesterday, maybe it was a close call.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 21
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 17
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 26
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (100)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)