Nov 17, 2010, 4:31 PM EDT
Last month the Chicago Sun-Times reported that the Marlins and the White Sox discussed allowing Ozzie Guillen to skip down to Florida to become the Marlins’ manager in exchange for a player. The report was shot down by Kenny Williams. Seems, however, that there was more to it than Kenny let on:
Chicago White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said he would have allowed manager Ozzie Guillen to go to the Marlins if Florida would have sent back a particular player, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.
”The Marlins asked for permission to talk to Ozzie, and we told them we’d let Ozzie go if they gave us a particular player,” Reinsdorf told the Sun-Times. ”But we knew they couldn’t give us the player.”
At the time “the player” was said to be Mike Stanton. It’s being reported by at least one scribe, however, that the player was Logan Morrison.
Either one of those guys is a lot to give up for merely a manager, so maybe the Sox didn’t really think they’d trade Guillen to the Marlins. Maybe they assumed that their bluff would be called, so Williams felt just fine saying that it was never a possibility.
But man, after seeing how little the Feesh got for the franchise’s all time home run leader yesterday, maybe it was a close call.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)