Nov 17, 2010, 4:31 PM EST
Last month the Chicago Sun-Times reported that the Marlins and the White Sox discussed allowing Ozzie Guillen to skip down to Florida to become the Marlins’ manager in exchange for a player. The report was shot down by Kenny Williams. Seems, however, that there was more to it than Kenny let on:
Chicago White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said he would have allowed manager Ozzie Guillen to go to the Marlins if Florida would have sent back a particular player, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.
”The Marlins asked for permission to talk to Ozzie, and we told them we’d let Ozzie go if they gave us a particular player,” Reinsdorf told the Sun-Times. ”But we knew they couldn’t give us the player.”
At the time “the player” was said to be Mike Stanton. It’s being reported by at least one scribe, however, that the player was Logan Morrison.
Either one of those guys is a lot to give up for merely a manager, so maybe the Sox didn’t really think they’d trade Guillen to the Marlins. Maybe they assumed that their bluff would be called, so Williams felt just fine saying that it was never a possibility.
But man, after seeing how little the Feesh got for the franchise’s all time home run leader yesterday, maybe it was a close call.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)