Nov 17, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
I seem to have misplaced my calendar, and I can’t figure out if today is “the Yankees are going to overpay Derek Jeter” day, or if it’s “The Yankees are going to hold the line and pay Jeter what he’s actually worth” day. Can someone help me? Ah, there’s Joel Sherman now:
In a meeting in Tampa last week, Yankees officials did the requisite lap of respect with Derek Jeter. They honored his place in organization history, his meaning to the fan base and his legacy on and off the field. But once the admiration portion of the program was complete, Yankee officials also made sure to tell Jeter it is their intention to offer him a baseball contract. Period.
Snark aside, I like the way Sherman — or, if the phrase came from a source, the source — phrases this. Because that’s what we’re really talking about here is whether Jeter is going to get a “baseball contract” or something that places some Face of the Franchise value on him. Sherman called it a “victory lap deal” on his Twitter feed this morning, and I rather like that construction.
But whatever you call it, that’s the kind of conversation that is important. Now that it has been had, the dollars are way easier to consider. Well, that is unless Jeter simply doesn’t believe that he should get a baseball deal as opposed to a multi-faceted marketing/warm fuzzies kind of deal.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)