Nov 18, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Colorado has traded infielder Clint Barmes to Houston for right-hander Felipe Paulino.
Barmes was once the Rockies’ starting shortstop, but moved to second base when Troy Tulowitzki arrived in 2006 and is coming off a horrendous year at the plate, hitting just .235 with a lowly .656 OPS despite calling Coors Field home.
At times Barmes has posted some solid-looking raw numbers, but for the most part he’s been mediocre even with a hitter-friendly ballpark on his side and has batted just .224 with a .266 on-base percentage and .352 slugging percentage on the road during his career. Those are horrendous numbers, even for a good defensive middle infielder like Barmes and even for a team like the Astros that was in the market for a starting shortstop.
Take him away from Coors Field and Barmes has been a utility man-caliber player at best, so it makes sense that he was traded for a pitcher with a 5.83 career ERA. Paulino was awful for the Astros, going 6-21 with that ugly ERA in 208 innings, but he did rack up 187 strikeouts and has very good raw stuff with a mid-90s fastball and high-80s slider. I think Paulino still has a chance to be a pretty solid pitcher, but between his awful performance so far and various injury problems it’s tough to blame the Astros for giving up on him.
Giving up on him in order to acquire Barmes, of course, is another issue.
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 0
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 12
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 28
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 65
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 84
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)