Nov 18, 2010, 1:49 PM EDT
Juan Miranda defected from Cuba in 2004, signed with the Yankees for $2 million in 2006, and has been stuck in the minors ever since despite consistently putting up some pretty good numbers.
He may finally get an opportunity at age 29, as the Yankees have traded him to the Diamondbacks for pitching prospect Scott Allen.
Miranda has spent each of the past three seasons at Triple-A, hitting a combined .287 with a .374 on-base percentage and .481 slugging percentage in 301 games.
He’s never going to be a star, but with Adam LaRoche leaving as a free agent the left-handed-hitting Miranda could be plenty useful as a platoon first baseman who starts mostly against right-handed pitching and new Arizona general manager Kevin Towers was known for his success plucking similar players off the scrap heap in San Diego.
Allen was an 11th-round pick in 2009 and posted a mediocre 4.73 ERA in 16 starts at low Single-A this season, but his 79/22 K/BB ratio in 78 innings was very strong and at 18 years old he was very young for the level of competition. He’s not a top prospect, but from the Yankees’ point of view he certainly represents a good return for a player they were never going to use anyway.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)