Nov 18, 2010, 5:19 PM EDT
Buried in the middle of Troy Renck’s latest Rockies notebook in the Denver Post is this sentence, accompanied by no other details: “Colorado also has interest in Angels starter Scott Kazmir, who had a disappointing season.”
First, calling what Kazmir did this year “a disappointing season” would be like calling me chubby. He had a 5.94 ERA in 28 starts and the one-time flamethrower walked nearly as many batters (79) as he struck out (93).
Second, if the Rockies truly have any kind of “interest” in Kazmir they can almost surely get him from the Angels.
Kazmir is owed $12 million next season and his contract also includes a $13.5 million option or $2.5 million buyout for 2012. Obviously if the Rockies called and offered to simply assume the remainder of Kazmir’s contract Angels general manager Tony Reagins would scream “yes!” before they even had a chance to finish the sentence.
The real question is how much of that $14.5 million Kazmir is still owed are the Rockies willing to assume? And if the answer is “not much” and they’d want the Angels to eat, say, $12.5 million of it, then are they willing to part with something resembling a useful prospect?
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)