Nov 18, 2010, 5:19 PM EDT
Buried in the middle of Troy Renck’s latest Rockies notebook in the Denver Post is this sentence, accompanied by no other details: “Colorado also has interest in Angels starter Scott Kazmir, who had a disappointing season.”
First, calling what Kazmir did this year “a disappointing season” would be like calling me chubby. He had a 5.94 ERA in 28 starts and the one-time flamethrower walked nearly as many batters (79) as he struck out (93).
Second, if the Rockies truly have any kind of “interest” in Kazmir they can almost surely get him from the Angels.
Kazmir is owed $12 million next season and his contract also includes a $13.5 million option or $2.5 million buyout for 2012. Obviously if the Rockies called and offered to simply assume the remainder of Kazmir’s contract Angels general manager Tony Reagins would scream “yes!” before they even had a chance to finish the sentence.
The real question is how much of that $14.5 million Kazmir is still owed are the Rockies willing to assume? And if the answer is “not much” and they’d want the Angels to eat, say, $12.5 million of it, then are they willing to part with something resembling a useful prospect?
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)