Nov 18, 2010, 5:19 PM EDT
Buried in the middle of Troy Renck’s latest Rockies notebook in the Denver Post is this sentence, accompanied by no other details: “Colorado also has interest in Angels starter Scott Kazmir, who had a disappointing season.”
First, calling what Kazmir did this year “a disappointing season” would be like calling me chubby. He had a 5.94 ERA in 28 starts and the one-time flamethrower walked nearly as many batters (79) as he struck out (93).
Second, if the Rockies truly have any kind of “interest” in Kazmir they can almost surely get him from the Angels.
Kazmir is owed $12 million next season and his contract also includes a $13.5 million option or $2.5 million buyout for 2012. Obviously if the Rockies called and offered to simply assume the remainder of Kazmir’s contract Angels general manager Tony Reagins would scream “yes!” before they even had a chance to finish the sentence.
The real question is how much of that $14.5 million Kazmir is still owed are the Rockies willing to assume? And if the answer is “not much” and they’d want the Angels to eat, say, $12.5 million of it, then are they willing to part with something resembling a useful prospect?
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)