Nov 18, 2010, 6:09 AM EST
I had this crazy dream last night! The Yankees offered Derek Jeter $21 million a year for three years . . . and he rejected it!
Oh my, it actually happened. And at least someone in YankeeLand is tired of it:
According to the source, there is at least one voice inside the Yankees’ hierarchy urging the front office to play hard ball with Jeter. “Tell him the deal is three years at $15 million a year, take it or leave it,” the person taking the hard-line approach said. “Wait him out and he’ll wind up taking it. Where’s he gonna go, Cincinnati?”
I find myself coming around to that man’s way of thinking. That deal is easily twice what any other team would conceivably offer. Maybe more than twice. No pay cut — his 2010 salary was $21 million — and three more years? How is that not fair?
More importantly, how is this not like the Johnny Damon negotiation last year? I mean, sure, I know Damon was no icon, but the Yankees showed last season that they have no compunction about walking away from a negotiation that has taken a turn towards the unreasonable. It may be harder for them to do that here, but ultimately he’s still just a below average shortstop, not a brick of Unobtainium. And if Mr. “where’s he gonna go, Cincinnati!” gets his way, they certainly could.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 15
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 23
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 79
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)