Nov 18, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Earlier this week White Sox general manager Kenny Williams indicated that he expects Jake Peavy to begin 2011 on the disabled list following shoulder surgery and Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune reports that Chris Sale, who thrived out of the bullpen as a rookie, has “embarked on an offseason program designed for him to step into the rotation.”
Pitching coach Don Cooper has said previously that he’d prefer if Sale began 2011 in the bullpen again and gradually transitioned into starting during the season, but with Peavy looking unlikely to be ready for Opening Day and perhaps being out for the first several months of the season it makes more sense to have Sale starting from Day 1.
Cooper told Gonzales that the decision is ultimately the GM’s call, saying: “Whatever Kenny wants to do, we’ll do.” Barring a trade Mark Buehrle, John Danks, Edwin Jackson, and Gavin Floyd are locked in as the White Sox’s top four starters, leaving Sale or Tony Pena as the likely candidates for the No. 5 spot.
Sale made his big-league debut in early August, just two months after being the 13th overall pick in the draft, and tossed 23.1 innings with a 1.93 ERA and 32/10 K/BB ratio in 21 appearances, all out of the bullpen. However, the 6-foot-6 southpaw was a full-time starter in college and led the NCAA in strikeouts during his final season at Florida Gulf Coast University.
- The beauty of belief 7
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 30
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 14
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 68
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)