“Melvin: smooth. Hale: cautious. Backman: nervous. Collins: intense.”

Nov 18, 2010, 3:31 PM EDT

Wally Backman

This means very little in the grand scheme of things, but I think it’s great fun: Andy Martino of the Daily News, who is down at the GM meetings, tweeted a quick thumbnail assessment of the demeanor of each Mets managerial candidate the moment they came out of their second interviews with Alderson and company:

One word subjective description of each post-interview demeanor–Melvin: smooth. Hale: cautious. Backman: nervous. Collins: intense.

He added earlier that, not surprisingly, they all said that they thought the interview “went well.”   Just like those “successful surgeries” I go on about from time to time, I’d just once love to hear someone come out of an interview and say “Oh, it was terrible. I totally blew it. When he asked me where I saw myself in five years I accidentally mentioned that novel I’m working on and it all went down hill from there . . .”

Again, meaningless stuff. But I’m way more interested in hearing this kind of thing than having cliches dutifully repeated.

1. antelope850 - Nov 18, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I think Backman said the interview “went good”, which is at least somewhat refreshing.

2. BC - Nov 18, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Hopefully Alderson’s admin is typing up the rejection letter for Backman.

3. chrisny3 - Nov 18, 2010 at 4:05 PM

If they hire Collins, I’m going to quit being a Mets fan.*

If they hire Melvin, I’ll throw up but remain a Mets fan.

If they hire Hale, I’ll applaud.

If they hire Backman, it’s the happy dance for me!

*JK and poking fun at BC for his empty threat to abandon the Mets. But I would puke if Collins is hired.

• BC - Nov 18, 2010 at 4:08 PM

My order follows below:
      If they hire Backman, I’m going to quit being a Mets fan. (I stand by this)
      If they hire Collins I’ll throw up but remain a Mets fan.
      If they hire Melvin, I’ll applaud.
      If they hire Hale, it’s the happy dance for me!

• Jonny 5 - Nov 18, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Ha ha!!! We have room for you in Philly BC. Should I point you towards a good place to pick up a Schmidt Jersey? I think you’d look great in baby blue and maroon.

Although I don’t think that’ll happen. I don’t think Backman has a chance myself.

• chrisny3 - Nov 18, 2010 at 4:32 PM

BC, you are in the minority. The majority of Mets fans want Backman.

Hey, how about you join Jonny in Philadelphia whether or not Backman is hired?

I don’t think you will be missed!

• Jonny 5 - Nov 18, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Aww ChrisNy, don’t get heated over it and chase away fellow fans, they have enough trouble trying to fill the seats as it is!!! Man can’t he just have a different opinion. I like Mr. Met myself. He’s the kind of guy that can take a team places… He knows how to win.

• chrisny3 - Nov 18, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Mr. Met is better than the Philly Phanatic. Hands down. Though the Phanatic ain’t too shabby.

As for lower attendance, the higher prices (and reduced capacity) are a big reason. Ticket prices are ridiculous.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 18, 2010 at 11:16 PM

I thought it was the fans showing they were ticked at management. And the Phanatic is the best mascot of any sport. Period. I know this because it was the only thing Philly fans had to hold onto for YEARS. “Woo Hoo! Phanatic!, He’s number one, Forbes best! Woot!” Yeah it was quite sad come to think of it.

• chrisny3 - Nov 19, 2010 at 7:17 AM

No, part of it was the losing, but at the root of it is the higher ticket prices and decreased capacity. Even the Yankees are down in attendance by over half a million since they moved into their new stadium.

Mr. Met is the best. Put him in a cage match with the Phanatic and it’s a slam dunk victory for Mr. Met.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 19, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Conan featured a special on Mr. Met after Beltran was signed. Word has it, The Phanatic taped it and sent it in to him. Warning NSFW!!!!

• chrisny3 - Nov 19, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Haha, I’ve seen virtually all of Mr. Met’s acting roles, including that one. See, that’s what makes Mr. Met such a standout among mascots — he’s not just a star on the field, but off it as well. Letterman, Conan, ESPN commercials, you name it, Mr. Met has done it. The first real cinema luminary in mascot history!

• Jonny 5 - Nov 19, 2010 at 11:57 AM

“you name it, Mr. Met has done it.”
        Judging by that video, You’re 100% correct. ;)

4. antelope850 - Nov 18, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I want Wally. Just poking fun at his grammar.

I’ll take Hale.

Want no part of Collins or Melvin.

• chrisny3 - Nov 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM

The players couldn’t give a crap about grammar. Only small-minded journalists (hint: Heyman) would harp on this.

In fact, players are more likely to relate to a down-to-earth personality than someone who looks and acts more like a front-office pencil pusher (Melvin).

5. Reflex - Nov 18, 2010 at 8:00 PM

I wanna know what the evidence is for ‘most Mets fans want Backman’ and that even if such evidence existed, why should management give a damn if their goal is to win games(which inevitably pleases fans much more than who the field manager is)?

• chrisny3 - Nov 18, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Polls. Everywhere. All give Backman from 55 to 75% of the vote.

Here’s why management should give a damn — we pay their salaries, ultimately. Yup. In a way, we are their bosses. Kinda.

And of course the goal is to win games. But I bet Alderson will be the first to tell you that picking a manager isn’t an exact science. There are no Ultimate Manager Ratings (or UMR/150, lol) to look up. You go by gut and instinct. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. So if it comes to the point where he can’t say in his own mind that any of the other candidates would have a much better chance to win than Backman, then it might be a smart move to go with a fan favorite.

And while Alderson is not going to let fan opinion dictate his choice, you better believe he’s going to take it into serious consideration,

6. BC - Nov 19, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Here’s hoping the Mets go to Hale.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3062)