Nov 18, 2010, 3:49 PM EDT
According to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun the Orioles “have had trade discussions” with the Twins about J.J. Hardy and with the Rays about Jason Bartlett.
Cesar Izturis was Baltimore’s starting shortstop this year, but he’s a free agent the team is clearly looking for an upgrade offensively.
Previous reports had the Rays shopping Bartlett with an eye toward turning shortstop over to Reid Brignac and there’s been speculation that the Twins may non-tender Hardy because they’re looking to add more speed at the position (which, to me, would be a big mistake).
Zrebiec notes that the Orioles “haven’t ruled out” bringing back Izturis and says talks with the Rays for Bartlett have included right-hander David Hernandez potentially going to Tampa Bay. No word on what they’d be offering the Twins for Hardy. Bartlett and Hardy are both one season away from being free agents.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 34
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 16
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 20
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 90
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)