Quote of the Day: Bud Selig on the expanded playoffs

Nov 18, 2010, 12:05 PM EST

Spinal Tap But it goes to eleven

Bud Selig was just in front of a few reporters down at the GM meetings in Florida, and he was asked about the expanded playoff proposal. He said this about the number of playoff teams:

“Eight is a very fair number, but so is 10.”

And so is 11.  And 16.  Twenty-four may be fairer than anything.  But not 30. No, screw 30.  That’s just communism.

In all seriousness, though, I’d probably be less hostile to expanded playoff talk if someone in power could make a single baseball-based argument in favor of it. Likewise, if they simply said “this is about the money, really.” I’d probably lay off too, because hey, at least it’s honest. But please, spare me the “10 is more fair than eight” baloney. What are we, total idiots to them?

1. stealofhome - Nov 18, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Ten shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be ten. Eleven shalt thou not count, neither count thou nine, excepting that thou then proceed to ten. Twelve is right out. Once the number ten, being the tenth number, be reached, then lobby thou thy Holy Playoff Proposal of Baseball towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it

• Craig Calcaterra - Nov 18, 2010 at 12:17 PM

You officially win the Internet for the day.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Nov 18, 2010 at 12:21 PM

awesomeness

• sabosgoggles - Nov 18, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Dude, you even topped the superb graphic for the story.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 18, 2010 at 12:43 PM

You sound exactly like Bud Selig…

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 18, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Bud should have used that answer instead.

2. Old Gator - Nov 18, 2010 at 1:30 PM

You can go to eleven. What, am I the only one here who ever saw Spinal Tap?

3. BC - Nov 18, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Well, I don’t really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It’s like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how – what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what’s stopping it, and what’s behind what’s stopping it? So, what’s the end, you know, is my question to you.

4. bc666 - Nov 18, 2010 at 7:51 PM

More teams in the playoffs? So MLB wants to compete with the NFL on Thanksgiving for viewership?

• Old Gator - Nov 19, 2010 at 1:29 AM

I don’t care who’s playing on Aboriginal Extermination Day. I have more important things to think about – like slipping the turkey into the hot oil without splashing it on myself.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5183)
  2. M. Kemp (3085)
  3. C. McGehee (2767)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2759)
  5. J. Upton (2637)