Quote of the Day II: Felix Hernandez

Nov 18, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT

Mariners' Hernandez throws against the Blue Jays in their MLB American League baseball game in Toronto

“This is the first of many. Now I have to work even harder because I’m the best pitcher in the American League.”

Felix Hernandez, apparently believing that the Cy Young Award is taken away from its current holder head-to-head style, as though this were professional wrestling.

I kid King Felix.  He was quite emotional and genuine in his post-award interview, the highlights of which you can read in the AP writeup.  Like I said in the last post, I really dislike the sportsman’s cliches.  Kudos to Hernandez for saying what he felt rather than offering us the obligatory “I feel honored to have been considered” claptrap.

1. yankeesfanlen - Nov 18, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Smackdown between the King and CC! Gives Linda McMahon something to do now.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Something tells me CC would win that battle. Maybe because he’s the size of my wife’s Ford Escape?

2. Jonny 5 - Nov 18, 2010 at 4:34 PM

He ain’t lyin’, not a bit.

3. IdahoMariner - Nov 18, 2010 at 4:38 PM

He just might actually believe they take it from him head-to-head style, at least as seen by Tim Marchman in September, in one of my favorite articles about the CC vs. Felix question:

“Hernandez mauls people. He may as well be throwing marbles and bowling balls for all the chance anyone has to really crack him. Half the time he looks as if he’s one whispered suggestion away from ripping the batter’s arm out of the socket and using it to beat him to death.”

4. apbaguy - Nov 18, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Great quote, Idaho.

Let’s not forget though, that Greinke has the talent to win several awards, as do david Price and Brett Anderson. The King will have to walk the talk to keep winning.

• Glenn - Nov 19, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Don’t forget about Bucholz and Lester.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey