Nov 18, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
“This is the first of many. Now I have to work even harder because I’m the best pitcher in the American League.”
– Felix Hernandez, apparently believing that the Cy Young Award is taken away from its current holder head-to-head style, as though this were professional wrestling.
I kid King Felix. He was quite emotional and genuine in his post-award interview, the highlights of which you can read in the AP writeup. Like I said in the last post, I really dislike the sportsman’s cliches. Kudos to Hernandez for saying what he felt rather than offering us the obligatory “I feel honored to have been considered” claptrap.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)