Nov 18, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
“This is the first of many. Now I have to work even harder because I’m the best pitcher in the American League.”
— Felix Hernandez, apparently believing that the Cy Young Award is taken away from its current holder head-to-head style, as though this were professional wrestling.
I kid King Felix. He was quite emotional and genuine in his post-award interview, the highlights of which you can read in the AP writeup. Like I said in the last post, I really dislike the sportsman’s cliches. Kudos to Hernandez for saying what he felt rather than offering us the obligatory “I feel honored to have been considered” claptrap.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69