Nov 18, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
Jon Heyman tweets that the Brewers are leaning towards keeping Prince Fielder.
It’s not easy to be trying to trade Fielder right now, given that Adrian Gonzalez may soon be available and that other, lesser-but-cheaper first basemen can be had via free agency at the moment. And of course, given that Fielder is a Boras client, he’s highly unlikely to be amenable to a contract extension prior to hitting the market as a free agent a year from now.
The Brewers could easily compete in 2011, so it may be worth keeping Fielder around anyway, even if they don’t believe they can sign him long term. The NL Central isn’t outrageously strong, and if Milwaukee can upgrade its pitching this winter, there’s no reason they can’t be in the think of the race all year.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 8
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (86)