UPDATE: OK, it was a joke that went over my head

Nov 18, 2010, 5:36 PM EDT

face palm

UPDATE: Forget I said anything. It was apparently a joke, as Tango explained in the comments after I saw the post.  I guess my sarcasm meter was malfunctioning today. Sorry Tom.

5: 36 P.M.: I’ve long respected Tom Tango’s work, but man, this is exactly the kind of unctuous arrogance that causes people to resist the kind of work he and others are trying to do in advancing the understanding of baseball.

I hope this was part of an inside joke I just missed. But if not, and he means this seriously, it’s in really poor form. This is not “us against them.”  Knowledge and understanding should know no clique or tribe.  And it should be accompanied by at least a modicum of graciousness.

1. Andrew - Nov 18, 2010 at 5:41 PM

In two separate comments from Tango Tiger responded to complaints.

I thought that I had enough tongues-in-cheek in the post that it wouldn’t be taken seriously.

Man, you guys are so serious about this.

When I read it, I’m imagining Stephen Colbert saying it, like when he was in front of Congress. Read it like that. See if you get the same impression.

I mean, the “dean of new-fangled stats” is like “senior balloon correspondant”.

So yes, it’s just a joke.

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Nov 18, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Reading as if it was Colbert in front of Congress does make it funnier, but Colbert in front of Congress was f’ing hilarious and this doesn’t come close…try again Tango.

3. Rob Abruzzese - Nov 18, 2010 at 5:54 PM

You read this and didn’t immediately think it was a joke? Damn, don’t take this stuff so seriously. Next time you should probably take 5 minutes before hitting publish.

4. wpcorbett - Nov 18, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Remember, Craig is a recovering lawyer. You gotta cut him some slack. The Supreme Court doesn’t do satire.

• IdahoMariner - Nov 18, 2010 at 6:34 PM

well, not intentionally. sometimes, they inadvertently engage in brilliant satire…of themselves.

sorry…got carried away.

5. woodenulykteneau - Nov 18, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Tom Tango’s sabermetric and mathematical abilities are inversely proportional to his skill as a writer and his humility. Take it from someone who has dared to challenge him… because you have to: Tango deletes the posts that he doesn’t agree with. Sorry, Tommy: When you have a history of being a prick, it’s hard to tell when you’re doing intentionally or not. That someone as smart and savvy as Craig couldn’t tell the difference so proves my point.

6. dreamkafka - Nov 18, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Regardless of joke status, the message by Mr. Tango read as sarcastic. The original request here for graciousness would seem to hold up.

7. billtpa - Nov 18, 2010 at 6:13 PM

I think it makes it only marginally better that it WAS a joke. Because sabermetricians/saberists obviously aren’t the butt of the joke, which means “they” are. What makes Colbert so brilliant is that he comes off this way while poking fun at himself much more than at others (of course he’s playing a character so “he” isn’t really “himself,” but nevermind that), and I don’t get that sense from this at all. It’s just not very funny, and I think it qualifies as “unctuous arrogance” regardless of how it was intended. I’m a big fan of Tango, but IMO, he’d be best served to stay out of this particular arena.

8. IdahoMariner - Nov 18, 2010 at 6:36 PM

I have to agree with dreamkafka and billtpa…it doesn’t really work as a joke, but even if intended that way, it just comes off poorly. We should just celebrate that they got it right, and resist any urge to do anything else.

9. Jonny 5 - Nov 18, 2010 at 11:08 PM

I laughed right away. I thought it was pretty funny. But I’m a total a-wipe. And I’m not one of those there saber mathematicians neither. So it was probably in bad taste. IMO It was a “Joke” as opposed to a Joke. Like he meant every last word of it, but figured he could get away with calling it a joke. You know it.

10. frankvzappa - Nov 19, 2010 at 2:18 AM

and the goddamned uss calcaterra has crashed into the mountain…

11. BC - Nov 19, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Epic blogger fail!

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4129)