A’s, Royals, Tigers and Indians on Justin Upton’s no-trade list

Nov 19, 2010, 9:46 PM EDT

Justin Upton

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com did a little digging about Justin Upton’s limited no-trade clause. The results?

The four teams on Justin Upton’s no-trade list: A’s, Royals, Tigers, Indians. Can be sent to any other club without his permission.

Most of these are pretty understandable, but what does Upton have against the Tigers, anyway? Doesn’t everybody look good in the Olde English D?

You know, Tom Krasovic of AOL Fanhouse brought up something rather interesting on Twitter earlier this evening. Regardless of whether Upton gets traded or not, the discussions have allowed new Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers to gauge the marketplace. Who wouldn’t be interested in a 23-year-old potential superstar outfielder who just happens to be under contract through 2015? Exactly. Nicely played.

1. heiniemanush - Nov 19, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Justin clearly takes a dim view of Ted Nugent’s politics, there can be no other explanation of his not wanting to play in land of Horton and Cobb.

2. Old Gator - Nov 19, 2010 at 10:16 PM

I wouldn’t want to be stuck in Detroit either. Nobody would. I can find perfectly good felafel right here in Macondo anyway. Nor would I want to be shipwrecked in Cleveland, Rock N’ Roll Hall of Fame or not. If I wanted to set a river on fire, I could pour a can of gasoline on the Macondo River and flick a match to it. As far as Kansas City, I’m sorry, but it’s a great jazz town and full of charming, easy women. Upton blew that when he could have put Phoenix on his list, unless he just likes frying horned toads on the sidewalk at midafternoon in August and inhaling enough carbon monoxide during inversion days to fart greenhouse gasses. As for the Bay Area, he lost me there. How could anyone not want to live in a frisky fault zone?

3. proudlycanadian - Nov 20, 2010 at 9:26 AM

I see that he does not like the old rust belt. I am assuming that he knows that the Pirates could not afford him. Toronto is not on the list, but I do not see who the Jays could offer in return. I would not offer Travis Snider since he is affordable and has the potential to eventually lead the League in home runs.

4. fuggles7 - Nov 20, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Jeez.. I’m a Jays fan as well but I’d trade Snider, Marcum and Drabek for him in a heartbeat. Our new GM is a fan of strength up the middle and putting Upton in centre (Canadian/British spelling you notice) would be a huge defensive upgrade over Vernon Wells who could slide over to right field. Snider has never been able to lay off breaking balls and in a full season I’d expect at least 150 strikeouts by him and a mediocre OPS. Upton is a HUGE talent, and giving up a few easily replaceable parts (Toronto has a lot of starting depth) for a young superstar is the way to build a championship team.

5. brianmatusz17 - Nov 21, 2010 at 3:53 AM

id tell you what a outfield of upton,a.jones and markakis would look mighty sweet!!!! id sign beltre, and tradejosh bell and brandon snyder for him so fast it would be like stealing a pound cake from a fat kid

A managerial overanalysis epidemic