Nov 19, 2010, 4:16 PM EDT
Lost in the debate about the value of win-loss records or sabermetrics versus old-school is that winning the Cy Young award yesterday earned Felix Hernandez a whole bunch of extra money thanks to incentives in his contract.
Hernandez receives a $1 million bonus for winning the award and his salaries for the next three seasons rise by $500,000 per year, for a grand total of $2.5 million.
Not a bad haul for winning something voted on by 28 writers.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 72
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)