Nov 19, 2010, 4:16 PM EST
Lost in the debate about the value of win-loss records or sabermetrics versus old-school is that winning the Cy Young award yesterday earned Felix Hernandez a whole bunch of extra money thanks to incentives in his contract.
Hernandez receives a $1 million bonus for winning the award and his salaries for the next three seasons rise by $500,000 per year, for a grand total of $2.5 million.
Not a bad haul for winning something voted on by 28 writers.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)