Nov 19, 2010, 4:16 PM EDT
Lost in the debate about the value of win-loss records or sabermetrics versus old-school is that winning the Cy Young award yesterday earned Felix Hernandez a whole bunch of extra money thanks to incentives in his contract.
Hernandez receives a $1 million bonus for winning the award and his salaries for the next three seasons rise by $500,000 per year, for a grand total of $2.5 million.
Not a bad haul for winning something voted on by 28 writers.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 27
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 44
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 57
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)