Nov 19, 2010, 6:29 PM EDT
The Royals may be more motivated to trade Zack Greinke than we first realized.
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, execs believe that the 2009 AL Cy Young Award winner will “probably” be traded, while he throws the Rangers out there as one interested team. Presumably, trade talks would heat up if Cliff Lee ended up with the Yankees.
And here’s what one American League executive told Joel Sherman of the New York Post:
The Royals, in the words of the executive, are “spooked” by what happened to David DeJesus . They had a deal worked out with the Rays as the trade deadline approached last season, but on July 23, DeJesus tore tendons in his right thumb and the deal had to be scratched. “They can’t afford Greinke to have a mental relapse or a physical issue and his value to go to zero,” the executive said. Greinke has a well-documented battle with anxiety in his past.
The potential for injury is always there with any player, so Greinke is no different in that regard, but there’s no way to know if this executive has any inside information regarding the right-hander’s anxiety condition or is merely guessing just like the rest of us. Chances are the only people who really know are those among his inner circle. This executive probably isn’t one of them.
Of course, the most logical reason to trade him before next season is that there aren’t any true aces available in free agency this winter outside of the aforementioned Lee. Greinke can control his destiny to a certain degree because of a no-trade list that can block a deal to 20 teams (it decreases to 15 next year), but he makes $13.5 million in each of the next two seasons, a fairly reasonable sum for an ace, even for a mid-market team.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)