I think Ruben Amaro is messing with Scott Boras

Nov 19, 2010, 4:02 PM EST

Jayson Werth

Scott Boras likes to compare his free agent clients to Hall of Famers.  I think it’s pretty funny that Ruben Amaro is comparing one of Scott Boras’ clients to someone of a  . . . lesser stature:

Amaro, however, did bring Werth into the discussion when asked about leftfielder Raul Ibanez’ 2010 season.

Ibanez “was still a pretty productive player and . . . his numbers are not all that different from Jayson’s last year,” he said. “What did [Ibanez] have, 83 RBIs? Jayson had 85. [Ibanez] didn’t have as many opportunities as Jayson did to drive in runs.

“Clearly, Jayson had more runs scored [106 for Werth and 75 for Ibanez] and his on-base percentage and stuff were better, but [Ibanez] had 37 doubles and five triples. . . . The difference in their production was not all that great.”

Goose: meet gander.

And yeah, I realize that this is only funny for Phillies fans if Amaro is messing with Boras.  If he’s serious in thinking that they’re of comparable value, well, God help the Phillies.

1. Jonny 5 - Nov 19, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I was waiting for this one…. I read it this morning. I sincerely hope that this is his way of talking up Ibanez so he can trade him without sending him off with too much money. By doing this it would work right into the best option for the Phills. Keep Werth, trade Raul, platoon Brown and Francisco, get help for the pen. Raul loves Florida. Florida loves Raul. hint, hint, Loria…. He has hit an awful lot of homers down there, he’s made for Fla…

Yes I’m hoping this somehow subliminally is absorbed by Loria’s brain, what’s left of it that is…

2. Jonny 5 - Nov 19, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I heard Braunecker has been talking to some people in the Phillies org lately too….. Oh no…. That just couldn’t be, could it? Imagine THAT. Although “imagine” is about as far as I expect that to go.

3. proudlycanadian - Nov 19, 2010 at 4:47 PM

It looks as if Amaro was playing the same game that Boras does. Lets be realistic. Werth is not an elite player even if Boras claims that he is.

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Werth is certainly not elite, and after the Bay deal, I think teams would have to be a tad wary of big-time outfielder deals.

Amaro’s calling Scott out, and it’s fantastic.

5. solidzac - Nov 19, 2010 at 6:39 PM

I love this not only because it shows that Amaro can play Boras’s game as well as Boras can, but ithe process Amaro also heaps praise on a player rhe already has under contract. Borderline genius if you ask me.

6. paperlions - Nov 19, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Considering some of the signings Amaro has made….I don’t think he was playing any game.

7. delawarephilliesfan - Nov 19, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Anyone remember the last Free Agent outfielder that the Phillies “had” to re-sign? I’ll give you a hint, his name begins with an “A”, ends with a “d” and has “aron Rowan” in the middle.

Granted, I am not comparing the two in full – but reality check. Werth was solid year off the bench in ’07, emerged as a quality every day player in ’08, phenomenal ’09, and his numbers declined in ’10. Would anyone be that shocked if he pulled a Rowand in his next stop?

• Adam - Nov 19, 2010 at 10:49 PM

• delawarephilliesfan - Nov 22, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Man of few words there, Adam.

I’m not saying I expect it to happen. With the money the Phillies have spent, clearly some players were going to have to go. Seeing as we are talking about a guy who is 32, and has been a starter for 2 1/2 seasons…….well….I can’t get too upset. I would rather he stayed, but I can live with him leaving.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3301)
  2. J. Kang (3129)
  3. C. McGehee (2844)
  4. J. Upton (2829)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2822)
  1. D. Ross (2639)