Nov 19, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT
Juan C. Rodriguez of the Florida Sun Sentinel reports that “Javier Vazquez has told associates he would love a return engagement in the National League, particularly with the Florida Marlins due in part to the proximity to his native Puerto Rico.”
Rodriguez notes that Vazquez also “has a relationship” with Puerto Rico-born manager Edwin Rodriguez and “several members of the Marlins front office” were working for the Expos when Vazquez began his career in Montreal.
And it’s seemingly a good fit from an on-field perspective too, as Vazquez has fared much better in the NL and is a fly-ball pitcher who would benefit from Florida’s power-suppressing ballpark. Beyond that Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest has previously said that he’s looking to add a veteran starter to the rotation.
So what’s the holdup? Well, according to Rodriguez “he’s already received some hefty offers, the kind the Marlins would have trouble meeting.” Vazquez is coming off a three-year, $34.5 million contract, but had a career-worst 5.32 ERA in 157 innings for the Yankees and at age 35 seems unlikely to get more than a two-year deal.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)