Nov 19, 2010, 9:23 AM EDT
Good news for Indians fans.
According to Jordan Bastian, MLB.com’s new Indians beat writer, South Korea defeated Taiwan 9-3 on Friday in the final of the Asian Games. Tribe outfielder Shin-Soo Choo should now be exempt from Korea’s required two-year military service.
Choo batted .300/.401/.484 with 22 home runs, 90 RBI and 22 stolen bases in 144 games for the Indians in 2010 and he hit .300/.394/.489 with 20 homers, 86 RBI and 20 steals the year before. With Grady Sizemore hurt, he’s probably been Cleveland’s most valuable position player over the last two seasons.
Had Korea not won, Choo might have tried to become a United States citizen in order to avoid the military stint. But that certainly wouldn’t have gone over well in his home country and it’s far more fun that he beat the odds in a Hollywood-esque “play for your freedom” type of challenge.
Updates were hard to come by throughout the Asian Games, but we do know that Choo went 6-for-10 with three home runs and nine RBI over the first four games of the tournament.
The Indians, if so inclined, can now feel comfortable about discussing a contract extension with the 28-year-old. He is eligible for arbitration for the first time this offseason.
UPDATE: Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer says Choo drove in two runs in the championship game. Can the story get any better?
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 35
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 21
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 22
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 41
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)