Nov 19, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Scott Boras entered “boy who cried wolf” territory a long time ago when it comes to hyping clients and painting everything about them in the best possible light, but for whatever it’s worth he told Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com that Magglio Ordonez is now fully healthy following ankle surgery.
Ordonez missed the final two months of the season with a fractured right ankle, which kept him from accumulating the plate appearances needed for his $15 million option to vest for 2011.
Instead the Tigers declined his option and now he’s a 37-year-old free agent looking for work in a market that includes other right-handed-hitting corner outfielders like Jayson Werth, Vladimir Guerrero, Manny Ramirez, Pat Burrell, and Jermaine Dye.
While his age and the ankle injury are major concerns, Ordonez hit .303 with 12 homers and an .859 OPS in 84 prior to fracturing his ankle and has posted an OPS above .800 in 11 of the past 12 years. According to Morosi the Tigers “haven’t ruled out the possibility that Ordonez will return for less money.” However, if he’s truly fully healthy there should be quite a few one-year offers on the table from teams that can’t get into the bidding war for Werth but prefer Ordonez to Guerrero or Ramirez.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)