Nov 19, 2010, 1:46 PM EST
Scott Boras entered “boy who cried wolf” territory a long time ago when it comes to hyping clients and painting everything about them in the best possible light, but for whatever it’s worth he told Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com that Magglio Ordonez is now fully healthy following ankle surgery.
Ordonez missed the final two months of the season with a fractured right ankle, which kept him from accumulating the plate appearances needed for his $15 million option to vest for 2011.
Instead the Tigers declined his option and now he’s a 37-year-old free agent looking for work in a market that includes other right-handed-hitting corner outfielders like Jayson Werth, Vladimir Guerrero, Manny Ramirez, Pat Burrell, and Jermaine Dye.
While his age and the ankle injury are major concerns, Ordonez hit .303 with 12 homers and an .859 OPS in 84 prior to fracturing his ankle and has posted an OPS above .800 in 11 of the past 12 years. According to Morosi the Tigers “haven’t ruled out the possibility that Ordonez will return for less money.” However, if he’s truly fully healthy there should be quite a few one-year offers on the table from teams that can’t get into the bidding war for Werth but prefer Ordonez to Guerrero or Ramirez.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (150)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)