Nov 19, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Scott Boras entered “boy who cried wolf” territory a long time ago when it comes to hyping clients and painting everything about them in the best possible light, but for whatever it’s worth he told Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com that Magglio Ordonez is now fully healthy following ankle surgery.
Ordonez missed the final two months of the season with a fractured right ankle, which kept him from accumulating the plate appearances needed for his $15 million option to vest for 2011.
Instead the Tigers declined his option and now he’s a 37-year-old free agent looking for work in a market that includes other right-handed-hitting corner outfielders like Jayson Werth, Vladimir Guerrero, Manny Ramirez, Pat Burrell, and Jermaine Dye.
While his age and the ankle injury are major concerns, Ordonez hit .303 with 12 homers and an .859 OPS in 84 prior to fracturing his ankle and has posted an OPS above .800 in 11 of the past 12 years. According to Morosi the Tigers “haven’t ruled out the possibility that Ordonez will return for less money.” However, if he’s truly fully healthy there should be quite a few one-year offers on the table from teams that can’t get into the bidding war for Werth but prefer Ordonez to Guerrero or Ramirez.
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 0
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 8
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 28
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 45
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)