Nov 19, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
Milton Bradley and Eric Wedge clashed numerous times while in Cleveland in 2003 and 2004, leading to Bradley being traded by the Indians, and now that they’re together again in Seattle it seemed inevitable that the Mariners would try to deal the oft-disgruntled outfielder as well.
However, shortly after Wedge was hired last month Bradley said he was “over it” and willing to work with Wedge again, and general manager Jack Zduriencik recently told Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse that Bradley is being given a “clean slate” on his various issues:
That’s water over the dam. That was several years ago. He and Eric talked since Eric got the job. They are both grown men. They are both pros. They will turn the page and move on and play baseball.
First of all, since when is “water over the dam” a thing people say?
Secondly, I’m still very skeptical. The problems Bradley and Wedge had in Cleveland weren’t exactly minor issues. Wedge pulled Bradley from a spring training game, Bradley wore a “F*** Eric Wedge” shirt around the clubhouse, and the Indians banned Bradley from their spring training complex.
My guess is that the Mariners would love to move Bradley, if they could. Instead he’s coming off the worst season of his career that included a .205 batting average and injuries, and the number of teams interested in him was fairly limited even when he was playing well. Bradley and Wedge co-existing seems awfully unlikely, but when the alternative is simply eating the $12 million remaining on Bradley’s contract the Mariners probably figure they might as well give it a shot.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)