Nov 19, 2010, 2:45 PM EST
Milton Bradley and Eric Wedge clashed numerous times while in Cleveland in 2003 and 2004, leading to Bradley being traded by the Indians, and now that they’re together again in Seattle it seemed inevitable that the Mariners would try to deal the oft-disgruntled outfielder as well.
However, shortly after Wedge was hired last month Bradley said he was “over it” and willing to work with Wedge again, and general manager Jack Zduriencik recently told Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse that Bradley is being given a “clean slate” on his various issues:
That’s water over the dam. That was several years ago. He and Eric talked since Eric got the job. They are both grown men. They are both pros. They will turn the page and move on and play baseball.
First of all, since when is “water over the dam” a thing people say?
Secondly, I’m still very skeptical. The problems Bradley and Wedge had in Cleveland weren’t exactly minor issues. Wedge pulled Bradley from a spring training game, Bradley wore a “F*** Eric Wedge” shirt around the clubhouse, and the Indians banned Bradley from their spring training complex.
My guess is that the Mariners would love to move Bradley, if they could. Instead he’s coming off the worst season of his career that included a .205 batting average and injuries, and the number of teams interested in him was fairly limited even when he was playing well. Bradley and Wedge co-existing seems awfully unlikely, but when the alternative is simply eating the $12 million remaining on Bradley’s contract the Mariners probably figure they might as well give it a shot.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 64
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 22
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)