Orioles, Padres, Mariners likely to bid on Tsuyoshi Nishioka

Nov 19, 2010, 8:56 AM EDT

nishioka throwing

SI.com’s Jon Heyman reported earlier this week that the Red Sox and Twins have serious interest in 26-year-old Japanese infielder and MLB free agent Tsuyoshi Nishioka. And now other teams are looking to join the fray.

From Patrick Newman’s NPB Tracker comes a couple of updates on the highly coveted Nishioka:

The Orioles fully intend to at least make a bid.  The Mariners and Padres are also strongly considering making offers.

The Diamondbacks are out, worried that the price will be too high.  The Giants aren’t going to send in a proposal either.

Nishioka won the batting title in Nippon Professional Baseball this past year and is hoping to cash in with a move state-side.  Most MLB clubs view him as a second baseman rather than a shortstop, but that’s all case-by-case depending on individual needs.

Nishioka has expressed a desire to play on the West Coast, but he’ll probably chase the largest and most lucrative contract in the end.

1. Panda Claus - Nov 19, 2010 at 9:09 AM

I’d only bid on him if that snazzy uniform came in the deal.

Looks like a good player and I would certainly want my team to bid.

• Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Nov 19, 2010 at 9:42 AM

I second the uniform comment. That uniform kicks ass.

2. icanspeel - Nov 19, 2010 at 9:30 AM

As a Padres fan I don’t see how they plan to bid on him since they never want to spend any money. I can save them the time and say the price will get too high for them.

3. Jeremiah Graves - Nov 19, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I’d be pretty darn happy if the dude landed in Minnesota.

Everything I’ve read sounds pretty solid, granted you never know if that’ll translate to the American game. For every Ichiro Suzuki and Hideki Matsui we get a Kaz Matsui and Kosuke Fukudome.

If the dude is a legit batting champ with solid defense, he projects out better than some of the “power” hitters who fizzle in America. He could be a nice #2 hitter and a solid piece of the middle infield for the Twinkies.

• Panda Claus - Nov 19, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Very well said about the risk from bringing a Japanese player to the US.

Just because he’s shown wearing an “M” hat doesn’t mean he’d look good in Twins’ colors. Better to try him out in Oriole Orange. :)

• kander013 - Nov 19, 2010 at 12:44 PM

The Twins haven’t wore the “M” hat since 2009.

4. brianmatusz17 - Nov 19, 2010 at 12:19 PM

5. brianmatusz17 - Nov 19, 2010 at 12:19 PM

right on panda!!!!! i would love to see somebody other than cesar”please dont call me macier” izturis at ss

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS