Report: Jeter to get an offer for three-years, $45 million

Nov 19, 2010, 2:24 PM EST

MLB_Jeter

Jon Heyman reports that the Yankees are going to offer Derek Jeter a $45 million, three-year deal.

Yesterday Wallace Matthews suggested that the Yankees were offering Jeter more than $20 million a year and that Jeter was cool to the idea.  This clearly undercuts that notion, which seemed rather nutty anyway.  The $45 million is what a lot of people — including Joel Sherman — have suggested was likely.  That amount also seems relatively reasonable, at least in this weird world in which Jeter is almost inevitably to be paid more than his actual on-the-field contributions are likely to warrant between now and the end of 2013.

1. uyf1950 - Nov 19, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Seems more then reasonable. Certainly more then Jeter would receive on the open market. I think this amount fairly takes into consideration Jeter’s Yankee “status”. Based on these numbers the Yankees are obviously willing to pay him for “past” considerations, but not to the tune of an obscene amount. I think he would be foolish not to take it. Hopefully if this is a process the Yankees don’t budge to far from these numbers.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 19, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I was with you uyf with the 3 years 17 million per you suggested, and the Yankees seem to be expecting to settle somewhere around there when Jeter turns this deal down. Unless jeter finally came to the realization that he needs the Yankees more than they need him…???

• uyf1950 - Nov 19, 2010 at 3:28 PM

I do think at some point reality will set in for Jeter. He will/should realize it’s the best he’s going to get. I think the final agreement will come in at 3 years $50M total. Then some sort of personal services agreement happens to keep him in the “Yankee Family” long term. That’s as it should be. This will give the Yankees a year or 2 to decide what to do with the SS position.

2. uyf1950 - Nov 19, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Just to switch Yankees for a minute. Rumor has it that Rivera is looking for a 2 year deal from the Yankees. I think the Yankees will be happy to offer him a two year deal, probably for the same money he is currently making $15M per ($30M total). Two years will give him time to catch an pass Hoffman for the all time Major League lead in saves as well. After all if Papelbon thinks he is worth $11.5M, Rivera is worth at least $15M per.

• paperlions - Nov 19, 2010 at 3:49 PM

What Papelbon thinks has no bearing on value. He isn’t worth $11.5M/year and Rivera isn’t worth $15M/year. If those things were true, “ace” pitchers would be “worth” between $33M and $55M per year.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 19, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Brad Lidge is pulling 12 million per. Mo is worth 15 million per then. I always scratched my head at this, but closers are overpaid. Since it’s hard to find good ones, they draw bigger bucks than they should when you look at Halladay getting 20 million per who can pitch complete games..

• uyf1950 - Nov 19, 2010 at 4:01 PM

But what does have a bearing on a players value. Is what the team is willing to pay that player, and I have no doubt the Yankees are willing and will pay Rivera $15M per for 2 years. Hence that’s his value. You may not agree with it, heck you may not even like it. But it is what it is and that’s his value to the club that signs him.

• bigharold - Nov 19, 2010 at 5:05 PM

The problem with that logic is Rivera is worth about 13-15 mil per. Papelbon isn’t worth what he’s getting paid let alone throwing a rise on top of that.

3. sdelmonte - Nov 19, 2010 at 4:05 PM

The sticking point will be years, not money. And if I were Cashman, I would offer more cash and less years.

4. uyf1950 - Nov 19, 2010 at 4:11 PM

To Jonny 5 – I think one reason good closers get paid very well and I mean really good closers. Is that they generally appear in close to 50 games per season and how they perform can and often does effect the outcome of most if not all of those games. Plus in my opinion there are a lot fewer really good closers then there are so called “aces”. Just my opinion but there are probably at least 20 “aces” on various ML teams. You would probably be hard pressed to name 10 really good “closers” and probably 2 or 3 great closers (that have stood the test of time). Just my opinion.

5. sanzarq - Nov 19, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Why is anybody’s “Status” as a Yankee worth Millions of Dollars? Jeter should be offered a contract in the range of $8M – $6M – $4M for 3 years, if he really wants to be paid what he’s worth, from a purely baseball standpoint. And I’m not even sure he’s worth that much.

Of course, I don’t have $2 grand to throw around to sit behind home plate to yell at him about how he can possibly ask for more money.

6. Glenn - Nov 19, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I’ll say it again – ARod’s contract is the turd in this punch bowl!

• blackbear04541 - Nov 20, 2010 at 7:43 PM

If the yankees want to see him get in the 3000 hit club in pinstripe’s they better make a better deal then that!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester