Nov 19, 2010, 11:33 AM EDT
As we mentioned yesterday, today the court-appointed mediator in the McCourt divorce case is going to propose settlement terms to Frank and Jamie. Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 in Washington tweeted late last night that a source is telling him that the proposal from the mediator is going to favor Jamie, and will have her in an ownership position with the Dodgers.
This could cut any number of ways. It’s possible that it’s a signal to the parties that the judge is inclined to rule in Jamie’s favor. It’s also possible, however, that it bears no relation to the ultimate ruling. The job of a mediator, after all, is to try to get the parties to settle, and a proposal that showed Jamie with no ownership interest at all would likely kill any incentive to settle on Frank’s part. All I can say for sure is that, based on my experience as a litigator, it’s not always useful to attempt to use a mediator’s proposals as tea leaves for the ultimate outcome. He may not know the judge’s thinking, for one thing. Or, if the does, he may more interested in trying to counter what he feels to be the parties’ relative willingness to settle. And sometimes, you’ll be shocked to know, mediators have their heads up their rear. But I’ll leave my personal feelings on alternative dispute resolution out of this for the time being.
But the report is out there. And according to yesterday’s reports, if Frank and Jamie don’t settle, the ruling could quickly follow, possibly as soon as next week.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)