Nov 19, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Ever see news reports from towns in the path of a hurricane? In the days before landfall, you always see houses with boarded up windows, and there’s always some joker who paints something like “Hey Hurricane Betsy! Blow this!” on them just as fun. We laugh, but tempting the fates like that is rather empowering, actually. It helps one control their anxiety. Gives one humor and bravado to bolster one’s courage.
I worry that the Braves are taking this too far, however, in the number they gave Dan Uggla at today’s press conference. As you can see, it’s number 26. You know who else wore number 26 and played second base for the Braves?
Brooks was here. Empowerment or not, personally, I would have suggested a different number.
(thanks to reader Jonathan Ganz, who pointed out the number’s previous owner)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (105)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)