Nov 19, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Ever see news reports from towns in the path of a hurricane? In the days before landfall, you always see houses with boarded up windows, and there’s always some joker who paints something like “Hey Hurricane Betsy! Blow this!” on them just as fun. We laugh, but tempting the fates like that is rather empowering, actually. It helps one control their anxiety. Gives one humor and bravado to bolster one’s courage.
I worry that the Braves are taking this too far, however, in the number they gave Dan Uggla at today’s press conference. As you can see, it’s number 26. You know who else wore number 26 and played second base for the Braves?
Brooks was here. Empowerment or not, personally, I would have suggested a different number.
(thanks to reader Jonathan Ganz, who pointed out the number’s previous owner)
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 71
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)