Nov 19, 2010, 12:30 PM EST
Ever see news reports from towns in the path of a hurricane? In the days before landfall, you always see houses with boarded up windows, and there’s always some joker who paints something like “Hey Hurricane Betsy! Blow this!” on them just as fun. We laugh, but tempting the fates like that is rather empowering, actually. It helps one control their anxiety. Gives one humor and bravado to bolster one’s courage.
I worry that the Braves are taking this too far, however, in the number they gave Dan Uggla at today’s press conference. As you can see, it’s number 26. You know who else wore number 26 and played second base for the Braves?
Brooks was here. Empowerment or not, personally, I would have suggested a different number.
(thanks to reader Jonathan Ganz, who pointed out the number’s previous owner)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 61
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)