Nov 19, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Ever see news reports from towns in the path of a hurricane? In the days before landfall, you always see houses with boarded up windows, and there’s always some joker who paints something like “Hey Hurricane Betsy! Blow this!” on them just as fun. We laugh, but tempting the fates like that is rather empowering, actually. It helps one control their anxiety. Gives one humor and bravado to bolster one’s courage.
I worry that the Braves are taking this too far, however, in the number they gave Dan Uggla at today’s press conference. As you can see, it’s number 26. You know who else wore number 26 and played second base for the Braves?
Brooks was here. Empowerment or not, personally, I would have suggested a different number.
(thanks to reader Jonathan Ganz, who pointed out the number’s previous owner)
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)