Nov 20, 2010, 2:14 PM EST
This probably isn’t what the Phillies had in mind when they sent top prospect Domonic Brown to play for the Escogido Lions in the Dominican Republic.
The Phillies hoped his participation in winter ball would help make up for some of the time he spent on the major league team’s bench in August and September, but Brown has yet to appear in a game with the Lions, according to Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Escogido has 26 games remaining on their regular season schedule and Brown is expected to return home before Christmas, so the clock is ticking.
Assuming Jayson Werth leaves via free agency, Brown should open next season as the starting right fielder with the Fightins. The 23-year-old outfielder hit .210 with two home runs and 13 RBI in limited action at the big league level this past season, but batted .327/.391/.589 with 20 homers and 68 RBI in 389 at-bats between Double-A Reading and Triple-A Lehigh Valley. He’s widely regarded as one of the top position prospects in the game.
One interesting angle here is that the Escogido Lions are managed by Ken Oberkfell, longtime coach in the Mets’ organization. Let those conspiracy theories fly, people!
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)