Nov 20, 2010, 2:14 PM EST
This probably isn’t what the Phillies had in mind when they sent top prospect Domonic Brown to play for the Escogido Lions in the Dominican Republic.
The Phillies hoped his participation in winter ball would help make up for some of the time he spent on the major league team’s bench in August and September, but Brown has yet to appear in a game with the Lions, according to Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Escogido has 26 games remaining on their regular season schedule and Brown is expected to return home before Christmas, so the clock is ticking.
Assuming Jayson Werth leaves via free agency, Brown should open next season as the starting right fielder with the Fightins. The 23-year-old outfielder hit .210 with two home runs and 13 RBI in limited action at the big league level this past season, but batted .327/.391/.589 with 20 homers and 68 RBI in 389 at-bats between Double-A Reading and Triple-A Lehigh Valley. He’s widely regarded as one of the top position prospects in the game.
One interesting angle here is that the Escogido Lions are managed by Ken Oberkfell, longtime coach in the Mets’ organization. Let those conspiracy theories fly, people!
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 8
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 30
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 92
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 44
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (92)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)