Nov 20, 2010, 2:14 PM EDT
This probably isn’t what the Phillies had in mind when they sent top prospect Domonic Brown to play for the Escogido Lions in the Dominican Republic.
The Phillies hoped his participation in winter ball would help make up for some of the time he spent on the major league team’s bench in August and September, but Brown has yet to appear in a game with the Lions, according to Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Escogido has 26 games remaining on their regular season schedule and Brown is expected to return home before Christmas, so the clock is ticking.
Assuming Jayson Werth leaves via free agency, Brown should open next season as the starting right fielder with the Fightins. The 23-year-old outfielder hit .210 with two home runs and 13 RBI in limited action at the big league level this past season, but batted .327/.391/.589 with 20 homers and 68 RBI in 389 at-bats between Double-A Reading and Triple-A Lehigh Valley. He’s widely regarded as one of the top position prospects in the game.
One interesting angle here is that the Escogido Lions are managed by Ken Oberkfell, longtime coach in the Mets’ organization. Let those conspiracy theories fly, people!
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 33
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 47
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 23
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (163)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)