Nov 20, 2010, 7:05 PM EDT
Jake Westbrook, who signed a two-year, $16.5 million contract to stay with the Cardinals earlier this week, is currently recovering from surgery on his non-throwing shoulder. Our own Aaron Gleeman first passed along news of the surgery last month.
The procedure, which Westbrook told the Associated Press was neither major nor minor, but something “in between,” will prevent him from swinging a bat until early on in spring training.
“It only hurt to swing so I wasn’t too worried about it,” Westbrook said. “I should be good to go when the season starts, and I don’t think they’re too concerned about my hitting. “I’ll be good to go throwing the ball like any other year, so I’m not really sweating the whole swinging thing.”
The 33-year-old right-hander said he originally hurt the shoulder on a swing and miss against Josh Johnson in his second start with the Cardinals on August 7. Welcome to the National League, pal!
Westbrook managed to post a 3.48 ERA and 55/24 K/BB ratio in 12 starts after coming over from the Indians at the deadline, so the injury obviously didn’t affect his performance on the mound or the Cardinals’ willingness to award him with a new contract.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 1
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 3
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 34
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)